Microneedling: improving the skin in a new way

Jenna Bradford-Feature Editor

More stories from Jenna Bradford

Photo courtesy of: The Nouveau Clinic

Photo courtesy of: The Nouveau Clinic

In the ever-changing world of beauty, new trends are constantly popping up. One of the latest being micro needling. Microneedling is the process of taking tiny, sterile needles and puncturing the skin to increase the amount of collagen produced in the patients face.

Collagen is the protein that gives structure to hair, skin, nails, bones, ligaments, and tendons. There are two ways to get this treatment, through a dermatologist or an at home treatment.

Nurse Practitioner at Peninsula Plastic Surgery Kerri Holloway explained, “[The professional way] uses an automatic pen like a tattoo gun. When people do it at home they use a roller.”

Holloway stated the lasting effects vary from person to person, but the average is three to six months. Patients usually receive three treatments, but depending on the problem being addressed it may change from person to person.

Holloway informed, “[Microneedling] is uncomfortable, but you can use topical numbing and most patients are able to get through it without any difficulty.” She also included that afterwards, it feels like “a 24-hour sunburn.”

The procedure helps with hyperpigmentation, scarring, hair growth, skin tightening, acne and delivering drugs through the skin.

However, this practice could also have negative effects such as infection and possible scarring if done incorrectly. If the patient has keloids (area of irregular tissue where there is a scar or injury) then they risk getting more keloids, which is why doctors don’t recommend those affected to get the procedure.

This is a proven procedure that works. The effects will last longer depending on how the patient preps and the severeness of the problem.

Holloway feels the at home treatments are “good for maintaining the results.” She states, “They don’t work as well because they don’t penetrate the skin as deep as it needs to. The procedure needs to penetrate the papillary glands in your face to achieve [skin brightening]. [The at home treatments] don’t go as deep so you’d get different results. You could also risk getting more scarring if you don’t know what you’re doing.”

If you plan to get micro needling done, be sure to go to a provider to ensure that you are getting the procedure done correctly. If not, you could risk some serious scarring that could never fade.

• Microneedling: improving the skin in a new way

Health

Recycling: not just for paper

Health

E.Coli outbreak in romaine lettuce affects 22 states

Health

Corporations working towards inclusion

Health

Popular herbicide may be causing short pregnancies

Health

Hidden Ingredients in Mario Badescu products

Health

Identifying signs of depression and anxiety

Health

Mental health at SDHS

Health

Local activists continue the fight against opioid addiction

Health

The health “reality” of the virtual world

• A.M. Announcements

Friday, May 25