Decatur students attend March for Our Lives

March 28, 2018

“Enough is enough.”

Such is the motto that surrounded the March For Our Lives rally this past Saturday.

According to event organizers, an estimated 800,000 people joined in the protest for gun control in D.C. on March 24.

Nine years old and ready for a change, the granddaughter of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Yolanda Renee King shared, “I have a dream that enough is enough. That this should be a gun-free world. Period.”

I have a dream that enough is enough. That this should be a gun-free world. Period.”

— Yolanda Renee King

President of the Worcester County Young Democrats club, junior Izzy Emond organized a student trip to D.C.. Emond shared, “I decided to organize the trip because many kids in our area wouldn’t have the chance to get to participate in the march if it weren’t for the bus. It’s so important that any student had the opportunity to attend if they wanted to because the movement is centered around our generation. Everyone deserves to march for their safety, regardless of if you can afford to get there.”

Many people made signs to show support for the movement Samantha Lokey

According to Emond, 30 people filled the seats of the bus, including students from Decatur, Wicomico High, and Salisbury University. Through a GoFundMe account organized by Emond and senior Zach Davis, the expenses for travel were covered for everyone who attended. 

Included in the approximate were various celebrities, such as Kim Kardashian West and George and Amal Clooney as promised. Performers at the rally included Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, and others, who shared moving songs in remembrance of the lives lost.

One platform encouraged at the march was prompting those able to register to vote to do so.

The Twitter account for March For Our Lives shared, “VOTE as if our life depends on it, because it does. Be a hero. Don’t forget to register to vote.”

Trip participant, senior Michael Mareno, when asked about his favorite moment from the rally, shared, “Undoubtedly Emma’s speech, a six minute and 20 second speech, of which she was silent for about four minutes. It was an incredible moment, and in my opinion, the most powerful political statement I’ve ever seen made in a very long time.”

Students from Decatur protest at march Caroline Kurtz

Another special guest was 11-year-old Naomi Wadler. Standing in honor of African American victims of gun violence, Wadler said, “I represent the African-American women who are victims of gun violence, who are simply statistics instead of vibrant beautiful girls full of potential.”

Junior Danasia Wright, another accompanier of the trip said, “Being apart of this rally was so powerful, I can honestly say I have never experienced something like this in my life. The support in the crowd, the speakers’ passion, and the love that was all around me was almost too surreal to fathom. I am so glad I was able to be apart of something that displayed so much leadership and integrity.”

Taking to the streets, ralliers stood unified this past Saturday in the fight for gun control reform. Satisfied with the march, but disappointed in politicians, the Parkland kids promise that the March For Our Lives was only the beginning.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in