Moves like Jagger

Sophomore Jagger Clapsadle took second place. He came up short, as he fell 7-5 in overtime of the 4A-3A finals at 106lbs.

Stephen Decatur Wrestling Facebook

Stephen Decatur Wrestling Facebook

Marshall Gabell, Staff writer

First is better than second.

For Stephen Decatur High School sophomore Jagger Clapsadle, that adage was more than prevalent after he finished second in the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA) Wrestling State Championships, which were held in Upper Marlboro, Md. at The Show Place Arena, earlier this month.

Clapsadle, a captain on the Decatur wrestling squad, propelled to an impressive 28-5 record throughout the regular season. In addition to that mark, the 106-pound wrestler also triumphed in the Bayside Conference and 4A/3A East Region title matches to earn his seeding in the state championship event.

Walking with swagger in his step, Clapsadle glided into The Show Place Arena looking to achieve an incredible state championship as a sophomore.

I wrestled really well. I just think I was on a different level than those guys,” Clapsadle said. “I think the extra work I put in paid off.”

Representing Decatur alongside senior Caleb Bourne (finished fourth in the 220-pound bracket), Clapsadle opened his title pursuit with a dominating win in 48 seconds against Montgomery Blair High School freshman Brian McCaw.

Rocketing to the final eight in his weight class, Clapsadle earned another win against freshman Jason Liau, from Thomas S. Wootton High School and advanced to the final four with a matchup against North Hagerstown High School’s senior representative Justin Balcita.

Defeating Balcita in an intense match up, Clapsadle felt a state championship in reach, just having to go through senior Yonas Harris,  from Northwest High School, who held a 46-1 record entering the tournament.

Despite putting up a hard-fought challenge, Clapsadle suffered a bittersweet loss and was relegated to a second place finish in the state tournament.

“It was a senior versus a sophomore. He (Clapsadle) will have a couple more shots at it,” head coach Todd Martinek said. “He shouldn’t be disappointed with second.”

However, turning his attention from the 2018 postseason, Clapsadle has now increased his expectations for his junior wrestling campaign, focusing on bringing a state championship back to Berlin.

“My first season went really well,” Clapsadle said. “There were some tough losses, but I think I peaked at the right time. I will be back and more prepared to bring home a state title.”

Along with missing out on the state title, Clapsadle will also be losing senior wrestler Cade Solito, who is preparing for graduation, as a teammate and motivator. Throughout the wrestling season, Solito and Clapsadle pushed each other in the weight room, preparing each other for their upcoming matches.

“Cade and I pushed each other hard in the weight room,” Clapsadle said. “It will be tough not having him on the mats with me next season. I felt like we both motivated each other to be stronger and better wrestlers.”

Knowing that Solito will be missing on the Decatur mats next season, along with seniors Bourne, Jeremy Danner and David Braciszewski, the soon-to-be junior Clapsadle will have an increased role within the Decatur locker room during the regular team.

“I was a captain in my sophomore year,” Clapsadle expressed. “With some guys graduating, I know it’ll be my turn to step up into a bigger role next season and lead this team. We have some very good talent coming onto our team. I’m excited.”

As the wrestling offseason begins and the smoke clears from the finals, Clapsadle is remaining poised and utilizing his runner-up finish as motivation to earn a state championship next season — and he will not settle for less.

“I want to be a state champion,” he added. “That’s the goal. Plain and simple.”

Earl Campbell Photography
“I wrestled really well. I just think I was on a different level than those guys,” Clapsadle said.

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Swimmers on their marks

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Bocce teams comes close to gold, but rolled too short

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Shaquem Griffin: Overcomes the impossible

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Softball

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Girls’ Lacrosse

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Tennis

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

From Seahawk to Hawk: Montrel Moore signs to UMES

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Baseball

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Unified bocce

• Moves like Jagger

Sports

Decatur girls face Crisfield

Moves like Jagger