Courtesy of Hun Education

Courtesy of Hun Education

Courtesy of Hun Education

Oscars recap

The highly anticipated 90th annual Oscars awards aired March 4, showcasing the many individuals who helped shape the past year in film. The show combined comedy with its usual amount of politics as presenters gave out awards and winners delivered their speeches throughout its near three-hour duration.

Jimmy Kimmel hosted the event for the second year in a row, making his usual jokes about the A-list audience, while

also bringing up the Me Too movement early on in the ceremony. As the show progressed, Kimmel and a small group from the star-studded cast, including Ansel Elgort, Margot Robbie, and Emily Blunt, made their way to the Grauman’s Chinese Theatre just across the street to surprise an audience who was viewing an early screening of “A Wrinkle in Time.” Many believe that this stunt was a poor attempt to recreate last year’s “Gary from Chicago” bit, where Kimmel walked a group of tourists through the Dolby Theatre. However, last year’s stunt was one of the most viral moments of the 2017 Oscars, while this year’s antic was not as well received.

As far as presenters go, the most memorable were Tiffany Haddish and Maya Rudolph, who presented the award for best short film. Heels-in-hand, they joked about the “whiteness” of the Oscars, receiving many laughs from the audience. Many presenters, including Lupita Nyong’o and Kumail Nanjiani, even spoke out in their support for the DACA program, alluding to the young dreamers in America.

“Like everyone in this room and everyone watching at home, we are dreamers,” Nyong’o stated. “Dreams are the foundation of Hollywood, and dreams are the foundation of America.”

Many winners gave speeches thanking their coworkers along with family and friends, but most also included a reference to the changing times in Hollywood for women.

Courtesy of The Independent

Winner for best actress in a leading role, Frances McDormand, provided the most stimulating moment of the night when she asked all female nominees in all categories to stand.

“Look around, ladies and gentlemen, because we all have stories to tell and projects to be financed,” McDormand declared as the audience cheered her on through her speech.

Some of the other big winners of the night were “The Shape of Water” for best picture, Gary Oldman for best actor for his work in “The Darkest Hour,” and Guillermo del Torro for best director for his film “The Shape of Water.”

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in