Connecting with the coast: beach cleanup

April 12, 2018

As a club focused on service, Connections members and students of SDHS, 17 in total, attended the ninth annual Earth Day Clean Up to lend a hand in the maintaining of Ocean City’s beaches.

Volunteers met on April 8, for close to two hours to gather trash from 30th to 40th street. To accomplish this task, students divided into small groups walking along the beach, picking up any litter they came across.

According to junior Sibel Lorentz, “Most of the trash found was definitely cigarette butts, as well as plastic cups near some of the restaurants and bars.” As stated by freshman Erica Holdren, plastic pieces were found in abundance.

The event was hosted by the Town of Ocean City, the Maryland Coastal Bays Program (MCBP), and the Ocean City Surf Club. The purpose of the event, according to Sandi Smith of MCBP, was to “raise public awareness of pollution.” She claimed, “You don’t really see trash until you pick it up. It changes your behavior. So the more exposure these cleanups get and the more people get involved, the better the results will be.”

This event was just one of many efforts to protect the environment, in conjunction with Earth Day which occurs on April 22. Other functions included Ocean City’s community yard sale, which took place at Northside Park, along with the week-long Take Pride in Berlin Week, beginning April 21. According to The Dispatch, during this celebration, Berlin residents and businesses will have the opportunity to “help their neighbors, beautify their neighborhoods, pick up trash, and plant flowers.”

The week will kick off with a community-wide cleanup at Stephen Decatur Park, Henry Park, and Berlin Falls Park. Here, volunteers will take part in trimming trees and shrubs, as well as pulling weeds.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in