Decatur, home to many young artists

Junior+Rae+Weppner+works+on+a+pen+and+ink+piece+in+AP+art.+
Junior Rae Weppner works on a pen and ink piece in AP art.

Caroline Kurtz

Caroline Kurtz

Caroline Kurtz, Sports Editor

According to art teacher Christy Powell, for many students “Art is an outlet of expression.” This statement has proven to ring true for many Advanced Art students at Decatur.

Senior Rachel Gillin has always been involved in art. She has taken Art One, Art Two, Advanced Art, Utilitarian Art, and AP Art. “Art has given meaning to otherwise unimportant things,” Gillin stated with a cheerful smile. Rachel hopes to double major in college for art and business. “I just hope to have continuous improvement and a outlet of expression.”  Rachel finds happiness in art, especially painting, sketching, and even doodling.

Senior Stephanie Marx also hopes her art takes her far in life. Marx is going to Old Dominion University for graphic design and dance. “Art is practically my life. I spend most of my day working on my portfolio and two and a half hours after school dancing.” Marx has taken many different art classes throughout high school, including Art One, Art Two, Design and Photography, Advanced Art, AP Art, and a two year graphic design program at the Worcester Technical High School. Stephanie is not a typical artist, as she uses photoshop and photography to create her final pieces. Her work is based on morphing concentration. “I really want to work for a company that is creative and inventive, but also keep my own personal touch.”

Another art student, senior Niamh Lundberg, has always had a strong passion for art. Lundberg has taken Art One, Art Two, Advanced Art three times, and now AP Art. Niamh’s plans are “not set in stone,” but she plans on going to Towson University. She hopes to major in biology. “I plan on keeping up with art on my own. I hope I can join a club to keep practicing while in college.” Niamh prefers acrylic paint and simply loves sketching.

Senior Kira Solomon is another artist at Decatur. Solomon has been very busy with the arts as she has taken Art One, Art Two, Advanced Art three times, Design and Photo One and Two, and finally AP Art.“I hope to go to college for something in art,” Kira said proudly. “Acrylic paint and colored pencils are my favorite medians.” Solomon clearly cares very deeply for art as she stated, “art makes me happy.”

An aspiring printmaker or tattoo artist, senior Zoë Watson is going to Salisbury University to pursue her talents. Watson has taken Art One, Art Two, Advanced Art three times, and now AP Art. “Art makes life easier to express your emotions instead of having to vocalize them,” Zoë commented when asked how her life has been affected by art. Watson aspires for her artistic talents to take her far in life, as she hopes for a “successful artistic future.”

Junior Rae Weppner is graduating a year early in hopes for her artistic gifts to help her find a career she loves. Weppner has taken Technical Theatre, Art One, Advanced Art, and AP Art. Rae will be attending the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. “I hope it becomes something I can make a career out of,” Weppner said in anticipation of what college will bring her. “Art has given me something positive to do that I love.”

Lastly, senior Kate Carpenter aspires to educate the youth in the arts. Kate has taken Art One, Art Two, Advanced Art, Design and Photography One, and is currently working on her AP Art portfolio. “I have been an artist my whole life not only with drawing or painting, but I have danced my whole life. I do theatre and I feel like I have really found myself through the arts” Carpenter said happily. Carpenter has created many beautiful pieces of art and even won first place in painting in the Optimist Art Contest.“I hope that my art, one day, inspires change or inspires someone to create art” Kate concluded that art has always been extremely important and influential to her.

If interested in seeing these talented artists work first hand, come to Stephen Decatur High School on April 24, from 5 to 7 pm,  where all of these students and more will have art displayed. The Fine Arts Festival will feature elementary, middle, and high school artists and musicians from all schools in Worcester County.

Senior Stephanie Marx works on a colored pencil piece of a Maryland blue crab.

• Decatur, home to many young artists

Feature

Denault driving towards diversity

• Decatur, home to many young artists

Feature

CRISPR saving coral reefs

• Decatur, home to many young artists

Feature

Entrepreneur creates Island 51, music production company

• Decatur, home to many young artists

Feature

Man’s best friend

• Decatur, home to many young artists

Feature

Dogs take over the boardwalk

• Feature

Dana Kim: Living a life of service and giving back

• Decatur, home to many young artists

Feature

S.T.A.R. students recognized at annual breakfast

• Decatur, home to many young artists

Feature

Women in history

• Feature

A new generation of diplomats in the making

• Decatur, home to many young artists

Feature

Carpenter “can’t stop the beat” in Salisbury’s theatre show

Decatur, home to many young artists