Dana Kim: Living a life of service and giving back

April 26, 2018

Influencing many, with a passion for working hard and an ambitious attitude, junior Dana Kim is an inspiration to many.

“Taking rigorous courses and taking on several leadership roles has definitely taught me time management, self-discipline, responsibility, and professionalism,” Dana said with certainty.

Kim is a member of Science Olympiad, competing in the building, lab, and testing events, and through this academic club, she has recently competed in a tournament at Johns Hopkins. She is also involved in four AP classes which include AP World History, AP Physics C, AP Calc BC, and AP Chemistry.

Along with maintaining outstanding grades in rigorous courses, Dana is involved in many extracurricular activities such as Key Club, Science Olympiad, Maryland Association of Student Councils (MASC), the Worcester County Youth Council, Mu Alpha Theta, and the National Honor Society.

By dedicating her time to the community, Dana has shown a passion for volunteerism by completing over 300 hours at the Atlantic General Hospital (AGH) throughout her years in high school. Recently receiving the AGH Teen Volunteer of the Year award, Dana was super ecstatic.

I’ve won this award two times before, so I wasn’t expecting to receive it again.”

— Dana Kim

AGH selected Kim for this honor based on her volunteer hours, commitment, and recommendations.  Dana shared that her job was to “sit at the front and escort patients to the correct testing center, and to make sure that their paperwork gets to the correct people.” Even on slow days, she would help out elsewhere in the hospital, when many would have elected to leave.

Dana is also the current president of Key Club for her second year in a row. Key Club adviser Mrs. Stella Malone expounded that the club is a junior service organization on a high school level that is affiliated with the Kiwanis International Organization.

As Kim is taking on an important role serving her community, junior Jude Al-Hamad added that Dana is very organized and a great leader. Jude was very pleased with how well Dana directed the club.

Not surprisingly, Dana has set her eyes on the prize. She plans on majoring in biomedical engineering. After college, she plans to attend a medical school to become a surgeon. While continuing to serve her community as a surgeon, Dana also hopes to conduct research in the biomedical field.  

When Malone was asked what she thinks when she hears Dana’s name, her smile brightened as she explained that Dana is “hard-working, dedicated, and passionate about serving her community and passionate about being a leader.”

Dana’s dedication to her community and her academic goals inspires many. She demonstrates that it is possible to complete anything and everything if done with heart. With devotion and drive, Kim’s future will undoubtedly be successful in her service to the community, in her academics, and in her professional life.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in