Dogs take over the boardwalk

May 1, 2018

Dog stops for water.

Dog stops for water.

Samantha Lokey

Samantha Lokey

Dog stops for water.

Dog walkers arrived early to the inlet Saturday morning to register for and donate to the fundraiser. Those who raised money received goodie bags for their dogs with treats and toys donated from local businesses. Refreshments were provided by Harrison’s Harbor Watch Restaurant and Layton’s 16th St. Family Restaurant.

From the inlet, walkers strolled the boards and mingled with other dog lovers. The boardwalk was lit up with smiling faces, from people and pups alike. Many walked their own pets and adoptable dogs were walked by volunteers.

The event raises money for the shelter so it can provide vaccinations, microchips, and food for its in-need-of-home pets.

“The Hawk” asked chairperson for the event and dedicated dog lover, Heather Bahrami, what she most enjoys about the event, to which she responded, “Hands down the people and their pets. Everyone comes together for a fun time with the animals in mind.”

Bahrami went on to say how happy the shelter dogs seem. Many of them are waiting for their forever homes, and getting to spend a day on the boardwalk is a unique event in this area. “ I have to say, my face hurts by the end of Saturday from smiling so much. It is really heartwarming that so many people care,” said Bahrami.

Nearing midday, participants returned to the inlet to engage in contests for largest and smallest dog, best dressed, and best trick. A “cutest cat” picture contest was also held. Prizes were also awarded to those who raised the most money.

Worcester County Humane Society is a non-profit, no-kill shelter that relies on donations to care for the animals as best as they can. ‘Boardwalkin for Pets’ is the society`s largest fundraiser, which not only raises money but brings attention to the shelter. Through donations and hard work, over 300 animals were adopted out of the shelter this past year. When the animals spend time there, they are provided diligent care.

Bahrami told us about her and the shelter`s passion for animals, saying, “They can’t speak for themselves. I like to think that we are able to give them a voice to let people know. They bring so much good to our lives but so many times are not treated the way they should be or are in situations no fault of their own.”

The organization continues to better the lives of animals in our community. To learn more about the shelter visit worcestercountyhumanesociety.org, or follow them on their Instagram @wor_humane_society to stay up to date on upcoming events!

Everyone gathers at the inlet to begin the walk.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in