Shaquem Griffin: Overcomes the impossible

“It was like I was dreaming,” Shaquem said. “Magical stuff started happening. It’s unexplainable, the emotions, everything that was going through my mind. It was crazy (Clutch Points).”

Clutch Points

Clutch Points

Andrew Ball, Entertainment Editor

At only four years old, Shaquem Griffin had his left hand amputated due to a prenatal condition that prevented his fingers from developing. Instead of letting this hold him back, Griffin used this as motivation to work even harder to be successful at the sport he loved, football.

With the 151st pick in the NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks selected Griffin as a linebacker. He is the first one-handed professional football player in history. Griffin’s twin brother, Shaquill, also plays on the team as a cornerback. Shaquem told media outlets numerous times before the draft that he expected to get picked up by a team, and his words rang true.

In an open letter to NFL general managers, Griffin explained how football played a critical role in both his brother and his life since they were young. He admitted that his journey to success has not always been easy and at times he wanted to quit. But through rigorous training with his father to help him build discipline and endurance, there was nothing that could stand in Griffin’s way.

Shaquem attended the University of Central Florida, just like his older brother. As a student-athlete at UCF, he was named the 2016 American Athletic Conference defensive player of the year and also served as a captain on the team during its 13-0 season last year.

Griffin really caught eyes during the NFL Combine where he impressed scouts with a 40 yard dash time of 4.38 seconds. His time was the best of any linebacker since 2003 and it tied him for the ninth best performance of any player in attendance (NFL.com). Griffin also boasted 20 rep performance on the bench press with the aid of a prosthetic hand.

Living almost the entirety of his life with one hand, it has become part of Shaquem Griffin’s image. However, he wants people to know that there’s more to him than just overcoming his disability, and he’s here to stay. “One day I’m going to be called ‘Shaquem Griffin the football player’ and not ‘Shaquem Griffin the one-hand wonder’” (NFL.com).

• Shaquem Griffin: Overcomes the impossible

Sports

Swimmers on their marks

Sports

Bocce teams comes close to gold, but rolled too short

Sports

Softball

Sports

Girls’ Lacrosse

Sports

Tennis

Sports

From Seahawk to Hawk: Montrel Moore signs to UMES

Sports

Baseball

Sports

Unified bocce

Sports

Decatur girls face Crisfield

Sports

Bourne to win