The+Avengers+faced+their+most+powerful+adversary+yet+in+the+long-awaited+%E2%80%9CAvengers%3A+Infinity+War%E2%80%9D+film.+
The Avengers faced their most powerful adversary yet in the long-awaited “Avengers: Infinity War” film.

Photo Courtesy of Digital Spy

Photo Courtesy of Digital Spy

Review: “Avengers Infinity War”

The Avengers faced their most powerful adversary yet in the long-awaited “Avengers: Infinity War” film. There is an art to Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) films, and this one, thrilling in its action sequences, complex storyline, and skilled acting, did not disappoint.

“Infinity War” brings most of the characters from the MCU together to defeat Thanos, the biggest, baddest villain to come to the MCU to date. His goal is to purify the universe by wiping out half of all living beings at random. With all six infinity stones, he will have the power to do so. The Avengers join forces like never before in order to find the infinity stones before Thanos does, or kill him before he gets to them.

The first ten minutes or so begin right from where “Thor: Ragnarok” left off. Though “Infinity War” is still fairly understandable without having seen more recent MCU films, one should definitely see “Thor: Ragnarok” before seeing Infinity War to understand the beginning.

I was curious to see how the movie makers would introduce all these characters to each other, as some of them have existed fairly separate. The whole movie could have easily just been about the Avengers getting together, which would have made for a complete overhyped flop. But the generous run time for the movie (a whopping two hours and 36 minutes) combined with wonderful comedy and serious stakes kept the beginning of the film going, as the bulk of it was about catching up with all the Avengers and getting them in touch with each other. Though this film gets fairly dark, the beginning had audiences laughing out loud.

This movie, as was highly anticipated, had plenty packed into it, making it an enjoyable film for any moviegoer.

Long-time, well-versed fans will get a kick out of seeing their favorite heroes interact with each other. Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, the Hulk, Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Thor, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Doctor Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Falcon, War Machine (aka James Rhodes), Loki, and Spider-Man are all featured. Ant-Man and Hawkeye are notably missing from the action, apparently put on “house arrest” by their families. Viewers who have seen most or all of the 18 current live-action MCU films (excluding “Infinity War”) will also appreciate how all of the plots from each story weave together and how all the battles thus far culminate in this Infinity War.

Viewers who are not caught up on all the movies will still find this an enjoyable film, but having a Marvel marathon before seeing “Avengers: Infinity War” would be highly beneficial and enhance the viewer experience. This way, one can appreciate some of the intricacies in the comedy and the plot, and also better understand some character decisions.

Moviegoers should be prepared for an emotional ride and unexpected turns leading to the end of the film. The first few moments are heartbreaking, yet laughs echo throughout the theater twenty minutes later. This is Marvel’s darkest film yet, allowing each character to delve into their own demons and their own pasts.

Overall, “Infinity War” provided an amazing movie-watching experience and left viewers absolutely stunned. There is something to enjoy for any type of moviegoer. Marvel fans are already spewing theories about the future of the widely-beloved Avengers.

But the MCU is not finished yet. “Avengers: Infinity War” and the unnamed “Avengers 4” movie were filmed back-to-back over the course of a year, so we should tentatively expect the next Avengers movie in theaters in 2019. There will also be an Ant-Man followup, “Ant-Man and the Wasp” this July, another Spider-Man film starring Tom Holland, a Captain Marvel film with Brie Larson playing the title role, a third Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and potentially an unconfirmed Black Widow standalone. No matter what is next for the MCU, loyal fans are ready to buy their tickets.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in