North and South Korea reach an agreement

May 9, 2018

Kim Jong-un became the first North Korean leader to cross the border into the South on Friday, April 27, when he met with South Korean President Moon Jae-in to discuss the North’s nuclear weapon program.

The historic summit began when both leaders met at the Peace House located between the two nations. The New York Times cites that each man crossed the border into the other’s country before heading to the truce village at the center of the Demilitarized Zone.

The day-long summit included the planting of a pine tree, which was expressed by both leaders as representing a new era of peace, explains CNN. Additionally, the two were able to converse alone for over 30 minutes.

While this specific meeting follows a tension-infused year, the two Korean countries were able to negotiate and ultimately formulate an agreement. Such a consensus includes the signing by both men on the Panmunjom Declaration for Peace, Prosperity, and Unification. As stated by CNN, the declaration “commits the two countries to denuclearization and talks to bring a formal end to conflict.”

Furthermore, both Jong-un and Jae-in have expressed their promise and efforts to bring about a “new era of peace,” as well as the nations being “reunited as one country,” as stated by the North Korean leader.

According to CNN, at the conclusion of the meeting, “both leaders agreed to keep in touch by phone, to suspend propaganda broadcasts into each other’s country, and to meet again in Pyongyang in the fall.”

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in