Photo Courtesy of pitchfork.com

Photo Courtesy of pitchfork.com

Photo Courtesy of pitchfork.com

Spotify removes R.Kelly and XXXTentacion’s music from its playlist

Popular music streaming service Spotify removed artists R.Kelly and XXXTentacion’s music from all of its editorial and algorithmic playlists. Both artists’ music will also disappear from any genre and mood-based playlist, meaning that neither will be eligible for popular playlists such as RapCaviar, Discover Weekly, and New Music Friday.

This stems from the service’s new public hate content and hateful conduct policy, which went into effect on the morning of May 10. Following this, Spotify released the statement, “We don’t censor content because of an artist’s or creator’s behavior, but we want our editorial decisions — what we choose to program — to reflect our values. When an artist or creator does something that is especially harmful or hateful, it may affect the ways we work with or support that artist or creator.”

R.Kelly as accused of imprisonment, sexual misconduct, abuse, “brainwashing,” and controlling behavior by an anonymous woman. Although, he was not found guilty.

XXXTentacion was convicted in Florida on accounts of aggravated battery of a pregnant woman, domestic battery by strangulation, and false imprisonment. The rap artist has served jail time for said charges, but only for a few months until being released and placed on house arrest.

Both of the stars’ music will remain on Spotify, but the streaming service will not actively promote it. Fans of the artists everywhere are wondering if the policy will apply to other controversial musicians such as Kodak Black, Famous Dex, Rich the Kid, Dr. Dre, NBA YoungBoy, and 6ix9ine.

A bold move for the service that is sure to spark outrage, but a step in the right direction to set a better example for the youth and not promote or glorify this behavior.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in