New fees for Assateague Island visitors

May 17, 2018

Assateague Island is introducing new fees for beach-goers this summer.

A result of recently announced fee increases by the U.S. Interior Department, the Assateague Island National Seashore announced its implementation of higher fees to fund architectural and maintenance prospects on the island (wmdt.com). Beginning May 1, the “per-person” fee will increase from $5 to $10. According to delmarvanow.com, “The per-person entrance fee applies to individuals 16 years of age or older when entering by means other than a private, non-commercial vehicle, such as taxis and limousines providing transportation only; buses carrying passengers not on a pre-packaged tour such as school groups visiting for recreational purposes; and buses or vans registered to nonprofit organizations such as churches or schools.”

The other fees for the park will remain the same for now; however, they will be increasing in the future. “On January 1, 2020, the entrance fees for the park per-person rate will be $15, per vehicle will be $25, per motorcycle will be $20 and annual park pass will be $45” (wboc.com).

Park Superintendent Deborah Darden stated, “This modest increase in entrance fees will allow us to continue to protect, preserve and share the special places here at Assateague Island National Seashore with current visitors and future generations.”

For more information on fees and regulations, visit www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in