Dancing their way to victory

2018 Talent Show wows audience

Performers+unite+for+a+photo+opportunity+before+they+battle+it+out+at+the+Talent+Show.+
Performers unite for a photo opportunity before they battle it out at the Talent Show.

Jenna Banks and Sibel Lorentz

Jenna Banks and Sibel Lorentz

Jenna Banks, Sibel Lorentz

The talent acts, backstage crew, and hosts all scrambled to make last minute adjustments and preparations to put on the best possible talent show on Feb. 7. “There were 13 acts this year, they ranged from singing to dancing to rock bands and even some classical piano,” stated choral director and music teacher, Christine Middlecamp. The talent show is a fundraiser for the choir program supported by the Band Boosters Club, which provides prize money for the winners of the show.

First place winners and hip-hop dance performers junior Coardell Tatum and sophomore Zavian Taylor took home $100. Senior Zach Davis and junior Izzy Emond of The String Beanz placed second, earning $75, while the third place tie was between singers seniors Kelsey Warren and Jaden Spence, who earned $50.

“I feel good! This is my first time being on stage, and I was scared. My heart is still dropping,” Taylor shared after hearing the results.

As promised, the show had a variety of performances. The show began with a classical piano solo performed by freshman Luke Davis and ended with a hip-hop dance routine by Tatum and Taylor.

The audience laughed and cheered as each act made their appearance on stage. The host, junior Danasia Wright, was full of purposefully trite jokes to keep the audience entertained as the show transitioned from act to act.

At the end of the night, judges educational assistant Lauren Dohrman, parent Amy Morgan, and parent Iris Abrams took their time to decide which performance was worthy of the first place prize.

The night was full of unique performances and impressive talent. Although there could only be one winner, talent was apparent in all performances throughout the night.

As group and individuals practiced and performed, Middlecamp noticed a new band that stood out amongst the competition. “There are actually a couple of freshmen that surprised me. They have a rock band named The Undateables.”  

Freshmen Adon Russo and Jaiden Denk, who have been longtime friends and music lovers, were inspired to begin their own rock band through their parents. Denk’s mother, Kathy Denk, is a singer and guitarist for local band Full Circle. Russo’s father, Bryan Russo, is another local singer and songwriter who works on his own time to release independent albums.

“We are confident in ourselves because we practice a lot,” explained Denk. Russo agreed, “We have worked really hard on our new music.”

As the band’s members work to improve their music and reputation, The Undateables booked gigs at Burley Oak Brewing Co. in Berlin, MD. The band’s next show will be held at the local brewery on Feb. 26. In upcoming years, The Undateables will begin to be more active in the school and community. With their talent, we can expect to see more of them, as well as many of the other routines that performed.

Jenna Banks and Sibel Lorentz.
The String Beanz perform the song "Valerie" by Amy Winehouse.

• Student Life

Seniors recognized, awarded by community

• Student Life

Winners’ ways with words

• Dancing their way to victory

Student Life

Senior college decisions

• Dancing their way to victory

Student Life

SDHS Band Raffle

• Dancing their way to victory

Student Life

EverFi certification for 46 students

• Dancing their way to victory

Student Life

Prom 2018

• Student Life

Senior schedule leading to graduation

• Student Life

Band and orchestra departs on annual Spring trip

• Dancing their way to victory

Student Life

“Noises Off” proves to be a crowd favorite

• Dancing their way to victory

Student Life

Help wanted!

Dancing their way to victory