Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters drummer, dead at 50

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins playing live on tour.

Owen McAdams, Staff Writer

The world of rock ‘n’ roll was shaken to its core on Friday with the sudden passing of Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins at just 50 years old. 

“The Foo Fighters family is devastated by the tragic and untimely loss of our beloved Taylor Hawkins,” the band said in a statement released on social media. “His musical spirit and infectious laughter will live on with all of us forever. Our hearts go out to his wife, children and family, and we ask that their privacy be treated with the utmost respect in this unimaginably difficult time.” 

Hawkins was found in his hotel room in Bogota, Columbia, where his band was set to play at a festival that same night, according to authorities and published reports.

“The world of music and Bogota are in mourning over the death of the great Taylor Hawkins,” Bogota Mayor Claudia Lopez said in a release. “To his family and friends, to the Foo Fighters and all of his fans we send a hug and condolences.” 

On Saturday, Colombia’s Prosecutors Office revealed that toxicology tests done on Hawkins’ body found many substances, including THC, antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and opioids. No cause of death has been released, however.  

Hawkins, who had been with the Foo Fighters for 25 years after a brief stint as Alanis Morissette’s drummer, cut out a place for himself as one of Rock’s best drummers. This was no small feat, especially considering his band’s front man is Dave Grohl, the legendary Nirvana drummer. 

“Upon first meeting, our bond was immediate, and we grew closer every day, every song, every note that we played together,” Grohl wrote in his memoir, “The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music.”

“I am not afraid to say that our chance meeting was a kind of love at first sight, igniting a musical ‘twin flame’ that still burns to this day. Together, we have become an unstoppable duo, onstage and off, in pursuit of any and all adventure we can find.” 

Hawkins’ passing adds to the tally of legendary drummers who have died over the past year, including The Rolling Stones’ Charlie Watts and Slipknot’s Joey Jordison.  

Foo Fighters had been scheduled for tours throughout all of 2022, with dozens of sold-out concerts from the Chile to Australia, including a massive North American tour. Now, the band has canceled all upcoming tour dates, including a scheduled performance at Grammy Awards on April 3, where the band is nominated for three awards, including Best Rock Album for their most recent album, “Medicine at Midnight.” The band has won 12 Grammys in total.  

We’re sorry for and share in the disappointment that we won’t be seeing one another as planned. Instead, let’s take this time to grieve, to heal, to pull our loved ones close, and to appreciate all the music and memories we’ve made together,” the band announced in a public statement. 

Hawkins’ death has created ripple effects across the globe, including here at Stephen Decatur High School.

“The death of Taylor Hawkins is horrible. Me and my friend are saddened because we will not be able to go to their show in May. Their tour is canceled, and the band is obviously devastated, but I believe the band will eventually recover. Maybe they put Dave Grohl on the drums or find a new drummer,” said Decatur senior and long-time Foo Fighters fan Dimitri Anthony.  

Senior Michael John Schworn was also going to see the band during the Spring.  

“It’s a shame. Foo Fighters is one of my favorite bands. It sucks to see another musician go,” he said.