Monday, November 14

Today Celebrates: Loosen Up Day, National Pickle Day, and World Diabetes Day!

Lunch for today includes: Cheeseburger, Chicken Tenders with Roll, Steamed Broccoli, Mixed Vegetables, Diced Peaches, and Milk.

PBIS is pleased to announce the Student of the Month for October! Johnny Hobgood is being recognized for receiving a positive referral for showing Pride, Achievement, Respect, and Responsibility. Students, keep exhibiting traits of the Decatur Way and keep earning positive referrals.

Our Faculty member of the month is our technology support specialist Nicole Crosariol. Ms. Crosariol earned 2 positive referrals from her coworkers and is a fabulous new asset to our SDHS community and never hesitates to help students and staff alike.

Stephen Decatur High School has an active GSA group that meets every week after school on Wednesdays in the school library. We invite community members and allies to join us. In an effort to provide information and awareness, the GSA will be providing a weekly fact to be shared on the morning announcements.

This week’s LGBTQ-tip or Queer Quota is… Did you know that November 13 through 19 is Transgender Awareness Week? Transgender (or Trans) is an umbrella term for people whose gender identity and/or expression is different from cultural expectations based on the sex they were assigned at birth. Being transgender does not imply any specific sexual orientation. Stay tuned each week for more facts to expand your knowledge base.

This week is American Education Week, and the Educators Rising/FEA Club would like to extend a huge thank you to SDHS teacher, administrators, and staff. Here are a few Shout Outs to celebrate some of our outstanding faculty and staff!

I would like to shout out Mrs. Chetlet. Mrs. Chetlet is one of the hardest working teachers in the school. She always puts her students first. She helped me persevere through her difficult class always leading me in the right direction. She is always looking out for me. Not only when I was in her class, but this year too as she helps me with other school related things. She is the best!

I would like to nominate Mrs. Saullo. She has always been there for me as a teacher and a friend. She has impacted my view on school and is always there to help when needed. I have never met a teacher that cares for her students as much as she does.

I would like to shout out Mr. Evansky. He is always so positive and he puts forth effort to make every student’s day a little brighter.

Mrs. Terlizzi is SDHS’s unsung hero! She works so hard and cares so much for her students. She goes above and beyond to make sure that our high school experience is meaningful. Thanks Mrs. Terlizzi!

Mrs. Candeloro has positively impacted me by being the only teacher that has helped me understand math. She is extremely helpful toward her students.

Seniora Cassino has impacted me by making her classroom a fun and educational environment. She has inspired me to continue to learn Spanish.

Mrs. Bova has impacted me by teaching class with such a positive attitude. This makes learning in her class so much fun! She has made a positive impact on me. I always look forward to her class and she is one of my favorite people.

Mr. Pylypczuk makes me feel so welcome and has taught me more than any other teacher because he makes learning fun.

Shout out to Mr. Gross. You are my favorite teacher that I have ever had at Decatur. You are a great teacher and a great helper so thank you for making my show choir class so fun and easy. You are the best man!!

Decatur Nation! Collection for the annual Operation We Care troop donation drive is on! Wish list items include; socks, body lotion, mouthwash, sunscreen, eye drops, shampoo, ramen noddle packs, brick style not cups, and more! For the full list of items, check out the donation wish list posted around the building or see Mrs. Chetelat for a copy. Let’s remember our citizens in service for the holidays. All donations can be brought to Mrs. Chetelat in room A 175.

Everyone processed grief in different ways, and with the recent loss facing our community, Decatur’s Counseling Department has partnered with Coastal Hospice to provide a grief group in the media center. Students and staff are invited to join this Thursday, November 17th from 3:00 until 4:00 p.m. If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Shirk in the counseling office.

There will be a Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting this Thursday and every Thursday until Winter Break. We will meet before school at 7:15 am in D-151, Mr. Drahiem’s room. See Mrs. Fenzel-Mergott or Ms. Fluty if you have any questions. All are welcome.

Congratulations to Sophomore Amber Marshall with her impressive performance at the 3A State Cross Country meet in Hereford on Saturday. Amber was one of only 2 runners from the eastern shore in a field of 132 runners in the 3A division. Amber placed 47th on the Bull Run course known as “the toughest 3 miles in cross country” in a time of 22:33 which is the 6th fastest recorded time for Stephen Decatur runners to date. Way to represent Decatur Amber. We are all proud of you.

Attention Cheerleaders! Want to join our competitive cheer team? Tryouts for winter cheer will begin Tuesday November 15 from 4 until 6 in the small gym. You must sign up on FamilyID and have a current physical. Any questions see Coach Johnson.

Any new and returning swimmers interested in joining the swim team this winter need to register on Family ID and have a current physical. Practice starts TOMORROW, November 15th.

Remember to base your decisions on the Decatur Way principles. Pride, Achievement, Respect, and Responsibility. Have a Magnificent Monday Decatur!