Thursday, November 17

Today Celebrates: Great American Smokeout, Homemade Bread Day, Take a Hike Day, and World Peace Day!

Lunch for today includes: Sliced Turkey Breast with Stuffing, Chicken Tenders with Roll, Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Green Beans, Steamed Turnip Greens, Applesauce Cup, and Milk

Happy American Education Week! Here are a few shout outs from SDHS students!

Mr. Thompson works tirelessly for his program to be successful. He also brightens my day when I see him. Even though he already does SO much around the school, he is easily the most inclusive, respectful, and understanding teacher I’ve known. He has a lot of passion for what he does and that he passes on to his students as well as the students in NEHS, Film Society, Book Club, and the other organizations he takes part in.

I am shouting out Ms. Hayes in Guidance! She has made such a positive impact on me and my education. Thank you for what you have done for me.

Mr. Kurtz always greets me with a smile every day. He is so positive in class. I love listening to his stories and he always finds a way to make things more fun.

I would like to shout out Mrs. Thatcher for always being fun. She is the best teacher. She is funny and is always there for me. She gets the job done!

Shout out to Mr. Riley for helping me get myself back on track and making sure I stayed on top of my work. He always looked out for me like I was one of his own. I would not be on my path to success if it wasn’t for him.

Mrs. Mergott!! She always supports all her students from the athletes to the mathletes. She is there for them all. She is really passionate about math and teaching and no one can deny that she is an amazing teacher. Thank you so much Mrs. Mergott for making my calculous experience a wonderful one.

Mrs. Stevenson, I can really talk to her about everything. She makes an effort to build a relationship with not only myself, but with her students overall.

I would like to shout out Mrs. Tignor in the library because she is always nice and caring.

I would like to shout out RJ the custodian. He is so positive and brings a light into the school that we didn’t know we needed. He always has a smile on his face and is lifting others up. This reflects on the students here who all enjoy his presence. Thanks for everything you do RJ!

Congratulations to the Stephen Decatur Team of Jessica Beck, Rina Dirickson, and Logan Donmoyer as they took 3rd place in the team competition at the 38th annual Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition at Salisbury University. Over 20 schools competed, and Rina Dirickson also placed 3rd in the individual competition. Way to go! GO MATH!

You’ve all seen the morning announcements, where we share news and information with you in a professional manner, but DNN is much more than that. As students progress in the program we mix the professional with the fun, so check out some of the fun our Level 3 students do by following us on TikTok under the name dnnstudio.

Want a free copy of one of Time magazine’s 100 best YA books of all time? Pick up a copy of Firekeeper’s Daughter by joining The Spine Breakers this month. Members, the books are NOW IN, so see Mr. vonRigler in the media center for your copy! We will be reading to page 65 for next Monday’s meeting!

Decatur Film Society members, remember to pick up a permission slip from Mr. Thompson if you plan on viewing next weeks film. We will meet next Tuesday, November 22nd, but a permission slip is required to attend. It’s also pajama day, which is perfect for viewing The Babysitter.

Decatur Nation! Give a can man! The annual canned food drive has taken place all week, whether you knew it or not, and it only has one more day after today!! The Top three classes get donuts and all our donations will be sent to Diakonia! Get those donations in!

Mu Alpha Theta would like to invite all students and staff to join PJammin for Kids with Cancer on Tuesday, November 22. Dress in your best, school appropriate pajamas next Tuesday to raise awareness and funds for the American Childhood Cancer Organization. Donations for participating in pajama day will be collected during all lunch shifts on Tuesday. Let’s make Tuesday PJammin!

Everyone processes grief in different ways, and with the recent loss facing our community, Decatur’s Counseling Department has partnered with Coastal Hospice to provide a grief group in the media center. Students and staff are invited to join us TODAY from 3:00 until 4:00 p.m. If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Shirk in the counseling office.

Decatur Nation! Hold on to your memories by purchasing your copy of the 2023 Seahawk yearbook. Copies are now 80 dollars but that price increases to 95 dollars on February 1st. Don’t delay, pre-order today at yearbookforever.com!

Remember to base your decisions on the Decatur Way principles. Pride, Achievement, Respect, and Responsibility. Have a PARR-ific Thursday Decatur!