Order in the court

Mock Trial argued its first two court cases in Salisbury, Feb. 1, 2018. Unfortunately, the court did not rule in its favor as the team picked up its first two losses.

Brittany Tracy

Brittany Tracy

Jenna Miller, Staff Writer

The trial is now in session.

Mock trial is a nationwide competition where students imitate the proceedings of a real trial. Students are able to gain knowledge of the judicial system while developing analytical thinking and communication skills.

Schools from all over the country compete where the pressures of a real court case are implemented in a faux trial. The mock trial team participates in four tournaments each year and is currently preparing for its next competition, held Wednesday, March 7 at Snow Hill.

The group consists of twelve members, both new and returning. New members include senior witness Olay Fields, junior attorney Jovanna Abuaquob, sophomore witness Jamey Gannon, sophomore attorney Kersten Paulson, and freshman witness Lydia Woodley. Returning members senior attorneys Kevin Diu, Emily Hurley, and Brandon Yusef, junior witnesses Stacia Elbert and Pete Noparat, junior attorney Emily Malinowski, and sophomore witness Carter McLendon all help to guide novice members in the new process.

After receiving a selected case in November, members are assigned roles of either witnesses or attorneys.

This year’s case is Slater v. Kapowski, a case regarding a car accident where the team is arguing over who was negligent, or responsible. In its most recent tournament held Monday, Feb. 26, the team lost by only two points to Worcester Prep.

“I would definitely recommend others to join the mock trial,” Abuarquob says. “It’s a great way to get a look at the court procedures and the legal system.” Many members say that the experiences they have at competitions leave a lasting impression because they take place in a real court, and they have the opportunity to work with a professional lawyer.

Students interested in joining mock trial should speak with psychology teacher Courtney Bova in A170 or French teacher Emily Bullock in A111. Bova stresses that those interested in joining should be aware that although the workload is heavy, it offers a rewarding, real-world experience.

• Order in the court

Feature

Safety in the palm of your hand

• Order in the court

Feature

Denault driving towards diversity

• Order in the court

Feature

CRISPR saving coral reefs

• Order in the court

Feature

Entrepreneur creates Island 51, music production company

• Order in the court

Feature

Man’s best friend

• Order in the court

Feature

Dogs take over the boardwalk

• Feature

Dana Kim: Living a life of service and giving back

• Order in the court

Feature

S.T.A.R. students recognized at annual breakfast

• Order in the court

Feature

Women in history

• Feature

A new generation of diplomats in the making

Order in the court