Photo Courtesy of TheStranger.com

Parkland students organize rally in Washington, D.C.

March 23, 2018

Announced on Feb. 18 by junior Cameron Kasky of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and orchestrated by the students of the school, the March For Our Lives protest is scheduled for March 24 in Washington, D.C., on Pennsylvania Avenue.

In light of recent tragedies and decisions made by local governments and the National Rifle Association (NRA), any that wish to participate may join in the peaceful protest for gun control reform.

According to marchforourlives.com, “The mission and focus of March For Our Lives is to demand that a comprehensive and effective bill be immediately brought before Congress to address these gun issues.”

The march has been a controversial topic, with many voicing their opinions on various social media platforms. Despite the critics, the event has achieved immense popularity, leading to large donations and gaining the attention of various celebrities.

Following the lead of George and Amal Clooney, Oprah Winfrey and others donated money towards the event and pledged their support, some even deciding to attend.

On Twitter, Winfrey shared, “George and Amal, I couldn’t agree with you more. I am joining forces with you and will match your $500,000 donation to ‘March For Our Lives.’ These inspiring young people remind me of the Freedom Riders of the 60s who also said we’ve had ENOUGH and our voices will be heard.”

Revealed two days before the march, on the April 2018 issue of Time magazine, Emma González, David Hogg, Cameron Kasky, Alex Wind and Jaclyn Corin, students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas, were featured with “ENOUGH.” emboldened on the front page. According to time.com, “How a movement catches fire is always a mystery, but the Parkland kids seem matched for this moment.”

According to event.marchforourlives.com, the march in D.C. is not the only event available, there are more than 841 events worldwide. Interested in marching, but not able to make it to the D.C. event? Find events close to your location on the March for Our Lives website.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in