• December 12SAD: ugly sweater day 21st

• December 12PJ day at SDHS Dec 19t. $2 to wear and win prizes

• December 12Congrats to Boys and Girls Basketball for there win against PHS

Bourne to win

Bourne to win

At the 4A-3A East Regional Finals, Senior Caleb Bourne took fourth place at 220lbs.

SDHS Sports Twitter

SDHS Sports Twitter

SDHS Sports Twitter

Marshall Gabell, Staff writer

For standout senior Caleb Bourne, the 2018 Stephen Decatur High School wrestling season was a breakthrough campaign, one in which the 220 pounders rocketed to a dominating 22-0 personal record during the regular season en route to finishing fourth in the 2018 Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA) Wrestling State Championships.

Bourne, 18, represented Decatur alongside sophomore Jagger Clapsadle and senior Cade Solito (who was unable to participate due to an injured elbow) at the state championships, which took place the beginning of March in Upper Marlboro, Maryland at The Show Place Arena.

Competing against the best wrestlers in the state, Bourne fought through the stout bracket, defeating junior Jevon Coche from Clarksburg High School (Clarksburg, Maryland) with ease before earning a position in the final eight.

Advancing onto the final four, Bourne was able to defeat DuVal High School (Lanham, Maryland) representative senior Tyler Woodard in a hard-fought matchup, setting up a final four appearance against senior John-Luke Iglesias from Walt-Whitman High School (Bethesda, Maryland).

Despite putting up a fight, Bourne suffered a loss to Iglesias, who had just one loss entering the match-up and settled fourth place in the 220-pound bracket.

“Fourth isn’t what I expected,” Bourne explained. “I expected to come out on top. Overall, it was bittersweet. It’s cool that wrestling is over, but it also is tough because I know I can never do this again for Stephen Decatur.”

Standing at 6-foot-4-inches, the dedicated wrestler concluded his high school career with a remarkable 101-29 record. Holding this impressive stat line, Bourne became the eighteenth student to reach the 100 win mark in Stephen Decatur history.

“I used to look at the 100-win board in the wrestling room … and I used to tell myself, ‘I’m going to get my name there soon,’” Bourne said. “After a lot of hard work, I’ve done it. I pulled it out with 101 wins.”

Along with those remarkable numbers, Bourne also contributed to the team’s success during the regular season. Imbibing a leadership role, he helped guide Decatur to a 13-1 overall record, which landed them seeded highest in the 3A East Semifinal.

Even though the team suffered a close loss against number four ranked Atholton High School in February, Bourne held his head high — along with his teammates — and encouraged his te

am members to remain positive, even though their season had come to a close.

“A good leader leads by example,” Bourne expressed. “Basically, I just led and hoped people would follow that example. I feel like, after two seasons as a captain, I left a strong impression on the other wrestlers. This team is going to be stout the next few seasons.”

While his tenure on the mats at Decatur have concluded, Bourne has earned attention from the University of Missouri, York College, Alderson Broaddus University, the United States Naval Academy, and Gardner-Webb University for his wrestling accomplishments.

• Bourne to win

Sports

Decatur football defeats Snow Hill

• Bourne to win

Sports

Dutton scores commitment to college

• Bourne to win

Sports

Swimmers on their marks

• Bourne to win

Sports

Bocce teams comes close to gold, but rolled too short

• Bourne to win

Sports

Shaquem Griffin: Overcomes the impossible

• Bourne to win

Sports

Softball

• Bourne to win

Sports

Girls’ Lacrosse

• Bourne to win

Sports

Tennis

• Bourne to win

Sports

From Seahawk to Hawk: Montrel Moore signs to UMES

• Bourne to win

Sports

Baseball

Bourne to win