Dj Thompson

Charity drives a success at Decatur

April 6, 2018

This March, Decatur seemed to be in a very philanthropic mood, as there were two charity drives going on over the course of March: KAAAT Pet Food Drive and the NEHS Book Drive.

The 6th Annual Pet Food Drive sponsored by Kids Against Animal Abuse and Testing (KAAAT) ran from Mon., March 5, through Fri., March 16. Last year, KAAAT successfully collected over 2,000 lbs of dry pet food to donate to local shelters.

Fifth period classes competed to collect the most dry pet food, measured in pounds per student. This year’s winning classes, spanish teacher Colbi Custis and government teacher Jason Pylypczuk’s fifth periods, will each receive a pizza party! In total, the school collected about 800 lbs of food for the Worcester County Humane Society.

The National English Honor Society (NEHS) is an international organization for high school students across the world to promote and represent the art of the English language through their accomplishments in this field. NEHS allows individual high school students to have communication abilities with other students who have a passion for language. Scholarship eligibility and international recognition is a huge advantage to the students as well, as they pursue their passion.

NEHS recently held its annual book drive, collecting over 3,100 books. Science teacher Wendie Saullo’s first period class collected a shocking 855 books and earned a Panera breakfast for the class. Government teacher Maggie Berke’s first period collected 288 books, winning themselves a Dunkin Donuts breakfast.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in