Carpenter “can’t stop the beat” in Salisbury’s theatre show

Photo courtesy of http://www.salisbury.edu/performingarts/

Caroline Kurtz, Sports Editor

On Saturday, April 7, 2018, the “nicest kids in town” opened the well known show “Hairspray” at Salisbury University’s theatre. Decatur’s very own, senior Kate Carpenter, shined in the dance-heavy show as the only cast member who does not attend the college.

“The audition process was three days long and was open to the public. I was the only one who was not attending the college to get a part in the show,” Kate said proudly. “The first day of auditions was mainly singing, the second day was intense. It was four hours of straight dancing. The last day was callbacks and I was so excited when I heard I got the part of Brenda and the beatnik chick!”

Carpenter was also in Salisbury University’s theatre performance of “Cabaret’” last year. Through this show, Kate got to know the director which helped her earn the part in Hairspray. “Hairspray was a brand new cast, and I was nervous to join because I didn’t really know anyone. We all became very very close. We have been rehearsing since January. The nicest kids are very good friends too,” Carpenter said.

The cast practiced six days a week for five hours each day. “We have all worked really hard to produce the best show possible,” Kate happily said. The technical theatre class helped create the stage design and all the details of the show. From the extravagant sets, multiple props, beautiful lighting, and the overall flow of the show, “Hairspray” came together as a crowd pleaser.

Kate had the opportunity to play two different characters in the show. She played Brenda, a preppy member of the “nicest kids group” and one of the inmates during ‘The Big Doll House’ song as a rough beatnik chick.

“Brenda was so fun. I loved my fifties costume and the wig. Then I got to play a completely different character. I enjoyed having two roles because I had quick changes and the characters were very different” Kate added.

“Putting everything together was a little bit difficult just because we learned all the dances, and then we would not rehearse them again for a while, and then we would come back to it and have to recall every step. When we did the show with the live orchestra for the first time in our costumes it felt like we were actually going to pull it off,” Kate concluded with a smile.

On opening night, the crowd laughed and sang along together in pure enjoyment watching the explosive dance moves and the crazy costumes come to life on the stage. “Hairspray” has performances on April 12, April 13, April 14, and ending  April 15. Theater-goers can pre-purchase tickets on Salisbury University’s website or can purchase them directly at the box office. For more information feel free to visit http://www.salisbury.edu/performingarts/.

Photo courtesy Kate Carpenter
Senior Kate Carpenter poses with lead role, Tracy at Salisbury University.

• Carpenter “can’t stop the beat” in Salisbury’s theatre show

Feature

Safety in the palm of your hand

Feature

Denault driving towards diversity

Feature

CRISPR saving coral reefs

Feature

Entrepreneur creates Island 51, music production company

Feature

Man’s best friend

Feature

Dogs take over the boardwalk

• Feature

Dana Kim: Living a life of service and giving back

Feature

S.T.A.R. students recognized at annual breakfast

Feature

Women in history

• Feature

A new generation of diplomats in the making