• January 18Congrats to Jude Al-Hamad for winning the PBIS Rewards VIP of the Game on Jan. 16

• January 15Congrats to Mrs. Smith for becoming Decatur's 2019 Teacher of the Year

• January 15Congrats to Coach Krall for acceptance into the 2019 Eastern Shore Golf Hall of Fame

Cannes Film Festival 2018: more than just flims

Photo courtesy of the Clarion Ledger

Photo courtesy of the Clarion Ledger

Photo courtesy of the Clarion Ledger

Jenna Miller, Staff Writer

Last week kick-started the 2018 Cannes Film Festival, where a plethora of women in the film industry shed light on its long-standing inequality. Oscar award-winning actress Cate Blanchett spoke out about Hollywood sexism, focusing her speech specifically on the lack of female directors and heads of juries appreciated for their works and contributions to the industry.

The protest took place before the premiere of Eva Husson’s “Girls of the Sun,” which was up for the Palme d’Ore. By her side were 82 fellow actresses and female Hollywood executives standing on the steps of the Palais. The number 82 was strategically chosen to represent the minute number of women recognized over the 71 years of the festival’s history. A few of the other women taking part in the protest include Kristen Stewart, Salma Hayek, and Marion Cotillard.

“On these steps today stand 82 women representing the number of female directors who have climbed these stairs since the first edition of the Cannes Film Festival in 1946. In the same period 1,688 male directors have climbed these very same stairs,” Blanchette stated.

She went on to explain how women are not a minority in the world, despite what the film industry says. She and the other 82 women also highlighted the importance of the female point of view in storytelling needed to share the unique narratives of women worldwide.

Some crucial steps towards gender equality within the festival have been taken since the protest. On May 14, the head of the festival Thierry Fremaux signed a gender parity pledge with his associates at the Director’s Fortnight and Critics Week. The pledge promised to gather statistics according to gender and number of films being submitted, name the members of selection committees and programmers. The pledge also involved making a commitment schedule to obtain equality on their board.

Although moments like these aid in the fight for equality, there is still a long way to go for women, not only in Hollywood, but in all industries across the board. The inclusion of any and all minorities in the film industry allows the world to experience a wide and diverse range of stories which need to be told to foster a more understanding and empathetic world.

• Cannes Film Festival 2018: more than just flims

Entertainment

“Thank u, next” music video pulls in 825,000 live viewers

Entertainment

Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Shane Dawson’s docuseries on Jake Paul

Entertainment

Review: “Venom”

Entertainment

Review: “Grey’s Anatomy” going into it’s fifteenth season

Entertainment

Review: “Atypical” Season 2

Entertainment

Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Zero tolerance: “Roseanne” cancelled preceding season 2