• February 12Sophomore Anya Knappenberger & Jagger Clapsadle awarded Jan. Premier Driving School's Athletes of the Month

• February 12Decatur praises senior Dana Kim for becoming a National Merit Finalist

• February 11Congrats to the choir students who made it into All Shore Choir

• February 11Congrats to the girls swim team for winning the 2019 Bayside Championship

• February 11Congrats to the wrestling team for winning the state championship

• January 15Congrats to Mrs. Smith for becoming Decatur's 2019 Teacher of the Year

• January 15Congrats to Coach Krall for acceptance into the 2019 Eastern Shore Golf Hall of Fame

On the fence about fences

On the fence about fences

Photo courtesy of delmarvanow.com

Photo courtesy of delmarvanow.com

Photo courtesy of delmarvanow.com

Photo courtesy of delmarvanow.com

Jenna Banks, Opinion Editor

Confronted in years past with deaths and injuries from jaywalking, the Town of Ocean City recently installed fences in a preventative effort to control pedestrian safety.  The seven million-dollar project, completed in May of 2018, aims to decrease the high number of tourists illegally crossing the medians and consequently risking collisions with oncoming traffic. The supposedly “dune-like” fences run from the Roland E. Powell Convention Center located on 41st Street to 62nd Street.

While the city has constructed these fences for safety, so far with the start of the season, they do not seem to be doing the trick. Videos of jaywalkers climbing underneath the fences and tourists walking on the medians have surfaced since its construction, thus exposing the way it is still virtually ignored.

Due to its apparent inefficiency, this project seems to be a waste of taxpayer dollars that could have been much better spent. Persistent and occasionally ignorant tourists are going to figure out a way to cross the highway regardless of whether or not it is at a designated crosswalk.

The positioning of the fences, although at a 45 degree angle, are too high and make it difficult for drivers to see what is coming up on the other side of the highway, which could easily create confusion for tourists and then lead to backups. It would not be surprising, although ironic, if more accidents would occur because of impeded vision and diverted attention.  In no way does the design resemble beach dunes, as they were promised, and even make the city look cheap, with their plastic shine, bright white color, and curving placement.

This project, although initially seemed like a good idea, has proven to be ineffective and has created additional complications within the city, at the expense of Ocean City locals. 

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

Texting and driving extends beyond the windshield

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

Pushing government shutdown, thousands spill over US border

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

Swinging into relaxation

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

Immigration laws hurting children

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

The push to save our view

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

Inconsistency impairs the White House

• Opinion

Dallas Fox News tweets misleading headline

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

Nike ad sparks debate

• On the fence about fences

Opinion

Activists push for the boycott of SeaWorld

On the fence about fences