• February 12Sophomore Anya Knappenberger & Jagger Clapsadle awarded Jan. Premier Driving School's Athletes of the Month

• February 12Decatur praises senior Dana Kim for becoming a National Merit Finalist

• February 11Congrats to the choir students who made it into All Shore Choir

• February 11Congrats to the girls swim team for winning the 2019 Bayside Championship

• February 11Congrats to the wrestling team for winning the state championship

• January 15Congrats to Mrs. Smith for becoming Decatur's 2019 Teacher of the Year

• January 15Congrats to Coach Krall for acceptance into the 2019 Eastern Shore Golf Hall of Fame

Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

Ally Jones, Staff Writer

Over the past decade, there has been a dramatic increase in social media usage. In 2005, less than ten percent of Americans used social media, a figure that has since increased to 80 percent. With technology evolving, it is easier than ever for anyone to access the internet and social media, therefore it is more likely for privacy issues to occur and personal information to be leaked.

A near 90 percent of Americans agreed that they have lost control over the collection and distribution of their personal information. Likewise, 80 percent of social media users mentioned that they were concerned with advertisers and businesses accessing the data they share (pewresearch.org).

The use of the term “Privacy Policy” is now being implemented as a serious matter. Social media users are becoming more afraid of personal information shifting into the wrong hands and have grown blind to reading the “terms of agreement” page. Is anything safe? Is your information going somewhere you haven’t even heard? The safety of your information is in jeopardy. Internet and Privacy Policies are risky and have a reputation of leaking information.

The debate is over whether information is put in the right hands. Even if it may say that your information is protected, it may not be. Another case that was found, released that a company used by Donald Trump’s presidential campaign was able to secretly collect data on 50 million people through a seemingly painless quiz app. It later had CEO Mark Zuckerberg to issue a public apology and to also issue new changes.

A pattern of privacy issues occurring provides an important perspective on just how many times a company has faced serious criticism. Privacy Policies fulfill a legal requirement to protect a customer or client’s privacy, but are they really protected?

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Texting and driving extends beyond the windshield

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Pushing government shutdown, thousands spill over US border

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Swinging into relaxation

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Immigration laws hurting children

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

The push to save our view

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Inconsistency impairs the White House

• Opinion

Dallas Fox News tweets misleading headline

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Nike ad sparks debate

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Activists push for the boycott of SeaWorld

• Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Why pride month is important

Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?