• April 23Band concert May 2

• April 17Presidential service forms due on 4/29

• April 17Prom on 4/27

• April 12Seniors continue to bring in baby pictures to Mr. Thompson

Dallas Fox News tweets misleading headline

Samantha Lokey, Chief Editor

When Botham Sean Jean, an un-armed African-American man, was shot and killed in his apartment by off-duty Dallas officer Amber Guyer, a political outrage ensued, and remains a hot topic. Guyer entered Jean`s apartment, believing it was hers, and fatally shot Jean, claiming she thought he was an intruder in her home. Guyer was arrested three days later and released on a 300-thousand-dollar bond.  

The opinions expressed by the staff writers of The Hawk do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Hawk newspaper of Stephen Decatur High School. As a community forum, The Hawk welcomes all letters to the editor. All editorials and comments must be signed and should be submitted to Deborah McAdams in Journalism Room A110 or mailed to Stephen Decatur High School in care of The Hawk. Also, letters can be emailed to [email protected]. All letters selected for a copy will be shared as they are submitted, regardless of errors. Anonymous letters will not be displayed.

Many details of the case remain unclear, and new information is slowly being released to the press. Although, last Thursday, a headline tweeted out by Fox 4, a Dallas Fox affiliate, infuriated both ends of the political spectrum.  

The headline, reading, “DEVELOPING: Search warrant: Marijuana found in Botham Jean’s apartment after deadly shooting,” quickly went viral on twitter. This set-in motion a slew of tweets criticizing the headline for its insensitivity to the victim and his family, and overall ignorance to the situation.  

After receiving major backlash from a variety of prominent figures in the political community, the station took down the article, rebranding it with the headline, “Lawyers ‘disgusted’ by release of search warrant showing marijuana found in Botham Jean`s apartment.”  

Even so, it refreshing to see people of all political opinions coming to the defense of an innocent man, despite his skin color and contents of his apartment. Many wonder why this detail was used to create the headline in the first place, as more interesting evidence has surfaced since the shooting.