Review: “A Simple Favor”

Emily Townsend with her husband Sean.

Emily Townsend with her husband Sean.

Photo courtesy of theringer.com

Photo courtesy of theringer.com

Emily Townsend with her husband Sean.

Sibel Lorentz and Caitlin McLeavey

Do you know who your friends really are?  “A Simple Favor” hit theaters September 14, a Gone Girl-sequel thriller featuring Anna Kendrick from “Pitch Perfect,” Blake Lively from “Gossip Girl,” and Henry Golding from “Crazy Rich Asians.” 

A normal mommy blogger named Stephanie (Kendrick) has an unexpected shift in her daily routine after befriending Emily (Lively), an unpredictable, manipulative mother. Stephanie’s life changes from simple to complicated after the mysterious death of her best friend. Stephanie is determined to find the truth and uncover Emily’s past.   

Directed by Paul Feig, “A Simple Favor” is based off the 2017 Novel written by Darcey Bell. Whether it is the acting done by award winning actresses and actors, Lively and Kendrick, or the unpredictable plot twists that occur throughout the movie, this dramatic crime mystery will have you on the edge of your seat wanting more.  

The movie depicts poisonous friendships, consisting of lies, betrayal and the destruction of others. Two moms become friends after their children insist on having a playdate. Stephanie, a timid single mother, becomes acquittances with Emily. They bond over chilled martini’s and share their darkest secrets.  

The two mom’s friendship blossomed, causing them to become closer. One day, Emily calls Stephanie asking her to pick up her child Nicky. This simple favor changes her life forever.  

After a few days of not hearing from Emily, Stephanie calls Emily’s husband, then reports her missing. Stephanie was overwhelmed with worry, and found comfort in Emily’s husband, Sean.  

Days later, the body of Emily Townsend is found in a river… but is it really the body of the beloved friend and mother?  

Uneasy with the accusation, Stephanie decides to do her own investigation and starts to dig up a secret path Emily had tried to hide. As each clue surfaced she was closer and closer to finding the truth of the mysterious death. 

Throughout the nearly two-hour movie, viewers were glued to the screen as new plot twists arose. Everything you thought you knew was wrong and once you believed you had it figured out, another clue emerged and had you thinking all over again.  

The incredible acting made it feel as if the viewer was also solving the mystery resolving Emily’s death. As a mystery-lover, “A Simple Favor” was a successful movie and well-written in drama and suspense.

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Review: “Grey’s Anatomy” going into it’s fifteenth season

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Review: “Atypical” Season 2

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Review: “The Nun”

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Zero tolerance: “Roseanne” cancelled preceding season 2

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Cannes Film Festival 2018: more than just flims

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Spotify removes R.Kelly and XXXTentacion’s music from its playlist

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Childish Gambino tackles American issues in new music video

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Review: “Avengers Infinity War”

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Review: “KOD”

• Review: “A Simple Favor”

Entertainment

Review: “Ready Player One”

Review: “A Simple Favor”