Review: “The Nun”

Photo Courtesy of movieweb.com

Photo Courtesy of movieweb.com

Bees Beesley, Chief Editor

“The Nun” hit theaters on Sept. 6 to thrill moviegoers, featuring “American Horror Story” star Taissa Farmiga, and sharing a storyline with “The Conjuring,” “The Conjuring II,” “Annabelle,” and “Annabelle: Creation.”  

The Highly anticipated prequel to its sister-films was expected to be the scariest of the five, but disappointed audiences to a degree with its stale plot and easily-foreseeable jump-scares. Personally, I expected many more connections to the other thrillers in the collection. 

“Annabelle: Creation,” the first film in the collective universe (although the fourth released), details the origin of a demon-possessed porcelain doll after the distraught parents pray to the wrong spirits to connect with their deceased seven-year-old daughter. “Annabelle,” its successor gives a different explanation for the toy, which then appears in “The Conjuring” and “The Conjuring 2” (Business Insider Times). In the latter, a chilling scene involving a demon-nun gives rise to the latest film at hand, “The Nun” (Screen Rant). 

The story follows Vatican-recruits Father Burke (Demian Bichir) and nun-to-be Irene (Farmiga) as they investigate the unholy site of a Romanian nun’s suicide. During their stay at the convent, the pair are treated with suspicious hostility, which eventually grows into unsettling hallucination. Upon discovering the truth about the abbey’s harrowing past, the two must persevere to close a gate to Hell for the good of the world.  

The leading actress’s mother, Vera Farmiga, makes a brief appearance at the end of the production, making a connection between Sister Irene and Lorraine Warren that fans have deemed intentional, though the production team has yet to respond to the theory. This is among the disappointing handful of Easter eggs to the other films.  

Overall, the thriller is full of mystery, tension, and jump scares, but did not leave me with nightmares or trembles. The viewing experience, although, was very fun as my friends and I were able to interact with the film and one another throughout, though the characters often did not take our advice.   

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Review: “Grey’s Anatomy” going into it’s fifteenth season

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Review: “Atypical” Season 2

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Review: “A Simple Favor”

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Zero tolerance: “Roseanne” cancelled preceding season 2

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Cannes Film Festival 2018: more than just flims

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Spotify removes R.Kelly and XXXTentacion’s music from its playlist

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Childish Gambino tackles American issues in new music video

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Review: “Avengers Infinity War”

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Review: “KOD”

• Review: “The Nun”

Entertainment

Review: “Ready Player One”

Review: “The Nun”