• December 12SAD: ugly sweater day 21st

• December 12PJ day at SDHS Dec 19t. $2 to wear and win prizes

• December 12Congrats to Boys and Girls Basketball for there win against PHS

Lets give a warm welcome to our new staff

SDHS

Photo by Tara Smith

SDHS

Tara Smith, Sports Editor

As the 2018-2019 school year begins, we should make a warm welcome to our new staff. We have 10 new staff members joining our Seahawk family.   

Photo by Alora Lockhart
Mr. Sites

Principal Thomas Sites  

Mr. Sites is Decatur’s newest principal; however, he is not new to the school setting with over 22 years experience. After graduating from Flagler College, he began his teaching career at SDHS as a social studies and special education teacher. He joined the administrative staff as an assistant principal in 2006. In addition to his school day duties, he was busy coaching football, boys’ basketball, track, and baseball. He later moved to Berlin Intermediate School to be head principal. He expressed his excitement about being back and shared his goals for SDHS, which include making students a number one priority, giving them a platform to enable them to go where they need to go, providing a positive environment and being the nest school to support the student body. “I was a kid too, and I must do what is best for you guys. The staff, teachers and I come second,” he stated.

Tara Smith
Assistant principal Dr. Bunting

Assistant Principal Curtis Bunting  

Dr. Bunting comes to SDHS with impressive qualifications and a wealth of experience. He received his Doctorates degree from the University of Wilmington and worked in the Delaware public school system for over 25 years. He explained, “I love being able to help my peers and being a leader.” He started as a teacher and advanced his way up to assistant superintendent. After retiring from Delaware, he is excited to be a part of Worcester County. “I have a lot of respect for Worcester County schools, especially Decatur. I am excited to be on the ground level again and working in the high school environment. I can’t wait to learn about the culture and how the system works here.” Dr. Bunting wants the students and staff to know that he is accessible and will take time to listen in order to provide improvements where needed.

Tara Smith
Science Teacher Mr. Evansky

Everett Evansky 

Mr. Evansky is the newest addition to the science department. He has a wide range of teaching experience. His love for traveling and exploring new cultures has allowed him to teach for over 25 years in seven schools districts: Snow Hill, Miami Beach, Los Angeles, Oregon, New Orleans, Chicago and Maine. “My goal for this year and for my time teaching is to come into the classroom and share my passion for science. I love teaching and helping students move towards their future.”   

Tara Smith
Science teacher Mrs. Kalchthaler

Rebecca Kalchthaler  

Another addition to the Seahawk family is Mrs. Rebecca Kalchthaler, a former science teacher at Pocomoke High School. This year, Kalchthaler will be teaching biology and AP biology at Decatur. “My goals for this year are for all my students to have a successful year. I hope my students grow and learn a lot from my class,” she explained.  

Tara Smith
Math teacher Mrs. Kerchner

Carrie Kerchner  

Mrs. Carrie Kerchner joins Stephen Decatur to teach mathematics, a subject she has instructed for four years in Wicomico County. Her plans for this year are integrating technology into the classroom, stating, “We have the resources, so I really want my kids to use them.”       

Tara Smith
Newspaper adviser and Introduction to publications teacher Ms. McAdams

Deborah McAdams  

Ms. Deborah McAdams is Decatur’s newest instructor of Introduction to Publications and Newspaper Production. She graduated from Salisbury University with a bachelor in English. She started as a long-term substitute at Stephen Decatur Middle and High School last year. Her goal for this school year is to establish a good relationship with her students. “I want my students to meet their goals and finish my class with knowledge they can apply in the future,” she explained. 

Tara Smith
Foreign language teacher Mrs. Phillips

Karen Phillips  

New to the foreign language department is Spanish teacher Mrs. Karen Philips, who previously taught Spanish in Delaware public schools for over 24 years. After retiring from Delaware, Phillips is excited to be here at Decatur where she hopes that her students will “enjoy her class and find a purpose.”  

Tara Smith
Math teacher Mrs. Snead

Margaret Snead 

Mrs. Margaret Snead joins the math department after teaching for 24 years. Snead has taught at Pocomoke High School and Arcadia High School in Accomack, VA. “I enjoy helping students achieve their goals, passing classes, and graduating. I hope everyone has a good year,” Snead stated. 

English teacher Mrs. Seyler

Megan Seyler  

Mrs. Megan Seyler is a new addition to the English department. She previously taught at Wicomico High School and the Worcester Technical High School. She’s a Decatur alumnus and enjoys being back home. Her goal this year is “to survive! I hope that kids find my class interesting!”   

Tara Smith
Resource Teacher Mr. Westbrook

Matt Westbrook 

Mr. Matthew Westbrook joins SDHS as a resource teacher after spending the last six years at Stephen Decatur Middle School. He explained that he likes working with high school students better because they are more self-sufficient. When asked for what he hopes for this year he stated jokingly, “I hope to not get lost, but I hope to figure out the system and how things work around here.”   

• Lets give a warm welcome to our new staff

Feature

Tiny homes for the homeless

Feature

Creepy carnival chills Decatur

Feature

Apple launches iOS12

Feature

Safety in the palm of your hand

Feature

Denault driving towards diversity

Feature

CRISPR saving coral reefs

Feature

Entrepreneur creates Island 51, music production company

Feature

Man’s best friend

Feature

Dogs take over the boardwalk

• Feature

Dana Kim: Living a life of service and giving back