Students get into the music as Liam Gillis sings.

Photo courtesy of Deborah McAdams

Students showcase hidden talents at Smish Smosh

November 9, 2018

Decatur students got their Jukebox Jam on at the annual Smish Smosh event on Oct. 23. Theatre Production had their annual fundraiser with the theme Jukebox-Best of the 20th century. The different grades competed in two categories: talent and lip-sync battles. 

Up first was the talent round where two groups or individuals could perform and represent each grade. The first grade to go on was the freshmen. Unfortunately, only one freshman signed up. Liam Gillis went on to sing “The Reason” by Calum Scott. 

Up next was the sophomores, with one band and one student. The first to perform was “The Undateables.” Members include sophomores Adon Russo and Jaiden Denk, along with eighth grader Haven Helmuth. Performing after this group was Luke Davis with his rendition of “Bohemian Rapsody” on the piano. 

After the sophomores came the juniors with another band and singer. The first performer was Zoey Gillis, singing “Writings on the Wall” by Sam Smith. After Gillis was “The Jukebox,” consisting of many members from different grades. This group included senior Jake Truitt, junior Devon Ross, sophomore Daniel Nunan, and freshman Brodie Dehart. 

Last were the seniors. Victor Vick was up first with a drum solo. Second was Allison Hunter with her guitar solo, singing a reprise of “Money” by Jesse J. After, was Bees Beesley, with her guitar solo singing a mash-up of “Wish You were Gay” by Billie Eilish and “Cool with You” by Songs of Her’s. The last performer was Daltez Smith, with his dance mash-up. 

Following the talent portion was the lip sync battle. The freshmen grade had no group to compete, while the sophomores and juniors each had one. The sophomore group consisted of Ja’Bria Lewis and Kaya Harper, who danced to “Take on Me”. The juniors had Mikayla Cantine and Samantha Seidenspinner, who danced to “Billie Jean.”

The seniors ruled the competition with three groups competing. The first group included Orre Omer, Kendal Snyder, Hannah Johnson, Logan Townsend, Sierra Payne, Francesca Wheeler, and George Brous, who danced to “Wild Wild West.” The second group to perform consisted of Chloe McLane, Lauren Barrett, Sam Short, Jenna Dolan, Jenna Banks, Faith Engh, Kyrstin Funk, Tara Smith, and Dana Kim. The group performed a dance routine to the song “All Star.” The third group included Alyvia Circua, Hayley Littleton, Kailey Andrews, Ally Jones, Alex Richwalski, Noelle Dennis, Emily Gottfried, Allie Hunter, and Sofia Gordy, who sang and danced to “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!”  

The overall lip sync battle winners were the senior group performing “All Star.” Second place was “Billie Jean,” and in third was “Take on Me.”  Overall talent portion winners were Daltez Smith in first place. In second was “The Undateables,” and in third was “The Jukeboxes.”  

You can find the videos of the performances on youtube.

The Hawk • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in