• February 12Sophomore Anya Knappenberger & Jagger Clapsadle awarded Jan. Premier Driving School's Athletes of the Month

• February 12Decatur praises senior Dana Kim for becoming a National Merit Finalist

• February 11Congrats to the choir students who made it into All Shore Choir

• February 11Congrats to the girls swim team for winning the 2019 Bayside Championship

• February 11Congrats to the wrestling team for winning the state championship

• January 15Congrats to Mrs. Smith for becoming Decatur's 2019 Teacher of the Year

• January 15Congrats to Coach Krall for acceptance into the 2019 Eastern Shore Golf Hall of Fame

Filed under Entertainment

Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Photo courtesy of: movieweb.com

Photo courtesy of: movieweb.com

Photo courtesy of: movieweb.com

Movie: Bohemian Rhapsody 

Director: Bryan Singer 

Starring: Rami Malek, Lucy Boynton, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy 

Genres: Biography, Drama, Music 

Rated: PG-13  

Grade: A 

“Bohemian Rhapsody” hit theatres Nov. 6 in celebration of the legacy of 80’s rock band Queen, as well as its ‘controversial’ lead singer, Freddie Mercury, played by “Mr. Robot” star, Rami Malek. The highly-anticipated film traces the true story of Mercury’s rise to fame as well as of band mates Brian May (Gwilym Lee) and Rodger Taylor (Ben Hardy). 

The film touches on multiple taboo Hollywood subjects, including Mercury coming to terms with his sexuality, his fight with drug abuse, and nine-year-long battle with AIDS. The film portrays these issues exactly how they should have been handled, by giving us the raw truth. I noticed the crowd’s reactions throughout the entire film were filled purely with shock, as the film gives a look into the other unknown side of the band. 

The movie begins in 1970, with Mercury, a young insecure college-student, watching a local band, Smile, perform at a nightclub. Mercury eventually joins the band as lead singer and their success continues through the 80s, when they change the band name to the now famous Queen. Quickly into the film, tension arises across the members when Mercury’s ego got the best of himself. In 1984, the band splits, as Mercury gets a 4-million-dollar record deal to go solo from CBS Records. 

Mercury returns to London in 1985 to ask for forgiveness from his band mates and their manager Jim Beach, before revealing the fate of his health to his band mates during a rehearsal. With the outbreak of AIDS spreading worldwide, he discovers through test results that he is infected with a life-threatening case of Stage III HIV. Mercury’s closest friends embrace him and reconcile before being given a last-minute slot to perform in July of 1985 for Live Aid, a benefit performance aired on national television. 

“When we shot Live Aid, I sat down at that piano, and it was a feeling like no other of seeing something you’ve watched over and over and over again. And here you are living it,” Malek said. 

The focus on Mercury’s secretive life behind the scenes touched hearts, although some viewers thought otherwise. One review on columbusalive.com stated, “This biopic is bi-phobic. At every turn, “Bohemian Rhapsody” presents Mercury’s life as tragic because of his participation in queer culture. Instead of celebrating his queer identity, the film recycles tired tropes of queerness as a threat.” 

In summary, “Bohemian Rhapsody” is an eyeopener into the life of a star in the spotlight, as well as the meteoric rise of Queen through iconic songs and revolutionary style. Overall, I would say this film was not only inspiring, but also a box film biography masterpiece. A behind-the-scenes view of one of history’s most impactful bands. 

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

“Thank u, next” music video pulls in 825,000 live viewers

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Review: “First Man”

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Shane Dawson’s docuseries on Jake Paul

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Review: “Venom”

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Review: “Grey’s Anatomy” going into it’s fifteenth season

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Review: “Atypical” Season 2

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Review: “The Nun”

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Review: “A Simple Favor”

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Zero tolerance: “Roseanne” cancelled preceding season 2

• Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Entertainment

Cannes Film Festival 2018: more than just flims

Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”