• December 12SAD: ugly sweater day 21st

• December 12PJ day at SDHS Dec 19t. $2 to wear and win prizes

• December 12Congrats to Boys and Girls Basketball for there win against PHS

Texting and driving extends beyond the windshield

U.S. Air Force Airman 1st Class Kristen Coager, 27th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs broadcasters, illustrates the hazards of driving while on the phone at Cannon Air Force Base, N.M., March 8, 2012.

U.S. Air Force

U.S. Air Force

U.S. Air Force

Have you ever thought about how your life will end? Will you be struck by lightning? Could you die from a frivolous bee sting or a freak shark attack? How about a careless driver who was looking at their phone instead of the road?

It can be concluded that motor vehicle accidents have seen a vast increase with the development of new technology.

Although a prevalent issue, even the newest of drivers do not heed warnings against texting and driving. When asked by The Hawk, Decatur’s student drivers revealed that many of them text, call or operate music while driving. Even for those who do not drive, it was established that 77 percent of them have been in the car with someone who was using their cellular device while driving.

According to a study done by the National Safety Council, the average American is more likely to die from a car accident than they are from a firearm assault. The Safety Council is known for their protection and determination to eliminate deaths at home, at work, and in communities. The odds of someone winning the lottery is one in 200 million, but his or her odds of dying from a motor vehicle accident is one in only 88. Most of those accidents caused by cars are from lack of attention.

In turn, multiple accidents are not caused by cell phones. In many aspects, driving under the influence, sleep deprivation, and weather are also leading causes of motor vehicle accidents. The problem reoccurring is not only the above factors, but the carelessness while driving.

When someone is going 55 or even 65 miles per hour on the highway, they already have a high risk of getting into a fatal accident. If a cell phone is added into the mix, they greatly increase their risk of causing a collision. Over the years, this issue has seemed to be increasing as technology evolves. With having communication and entertainment at one’s fingertips, it can be a struggle not to have the urge to use the phone while driving.

It is petrifying how teens and adults would put not only themselves at risk, but the other drivers on the road. Being put in a situation where other people are at risk while someone answers a text, is unfair and, at times, fatal for the other drivers.

• Texting and driving extends beyond the windshield

Opinion

Pushing government shutdown, thousands spill over US border

Opinion

Swinging into relaxation

Opinion

Immigration laws hurting children

Opinion

The bloody truth

Opinion

The push to save our view

Opinion

Inconsistency impairs the White House

• Opinion

Dallas Fox News tweets misleading headline

Opinion

Privacy policies: safe or dangerous?

Opinion

Nike ad sparks debate

Opinion

Activists push for the boycott of SeaWorld