• February 12Sophomore Anya Knappenberger & Jagger Clapsadle awarded Jan. Premier Driving School's Athletes of the Month

• February 12Decatur praises senior Dana Kim for becoming a National Merit Finalist

• February 11Congrats to the choir students who made it into All Shore Choir

• February 11Congrats to the girls swim team for winning the 2019 Bayside Championship

• February 11Congrats to the wrestling team for winning the state championship

• January 15Congrats to Mrs. Smith for becoming Decatur's 2019 Teacher of the Year

• January 15Congrats to Coach Krall for acceptance into the 2019 Eastern Shore Golf Hall of Fame

Review: “First Man”

Review: “First Man”

Photo Courtesy of denofgeek.com

Photo Courtesy of denofgeek.com

Photo Courtesy of denofgeek.com

Movie: First Man

Director: Damien Chazelle

Starring:  Ryan GoslingClaire FoyJason Clarke

Genres: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller 

Rated: PG-13 

Grade: B+

As it approaches one month in theaters, “First Man” wows audiences nationwide with the story of astronaut Neil Armstrong, in a way it has never been seen before.

The mix between drama and science-fiction complexifies a historic figure by adding Armstrong’s emotional background and personal life to the equation. The film shows the many conflicts, deaths, and psychological challenges that went into landing a man on the moon; things civilians may never have considered about the landmark event.

The film is also able to explain the mission’s development over several years without the use of confusing scientific language. This is a factor that deterred viewers from pieces such as “Interstellar” (2014) and “The Martian” (2015).

Winning an Academy Award earlier this year for his 2017 film “La La Land,” a rom-com musical also starring Gosling, director Damien Chazelle is facing another victory in cinematography with his latest work. “First Man” exhibits extraordinary graphics and masterful cinematography which come together to cultivate a very tasteful and intricate film.

Under expert direction and editing, another large contribution to the film’s success an immaculate emotional performance by Ryan Gosling, who fantastically portrayed Armstrong as an astronautic engineer, husband, and father. The recurrence of painful memories evaluates the effects of bottling up emotions, as Armstrong faces barriers with his wife (Claire Foy) and family. Among his three children in the film was the eldest, Rick Armstrong, played by American actor Luke Winters who was just ten years old at the time of filming. The role was Winters’s acting debut; one that he scored at an open casting call near his home in Wortham, Texas. Videographer Todd Terry helped Winters to connect with the casting team of “First Man” after his initial audition, stating about the young actor, “For a kid who has never done anything before, he is absolutely, 100 percent natural,” (The Fairfield Recorder).

Overall, “First Man” is a very engaging and informative film that beautifully captures the vintage aura of NASA’s first mission to the moon. A great film for those who want to know more about the first man to walk the moon.

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

“Thank u, next” music video pulls in 825,000 live viewers

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Review: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Shane Dawson’s docuseries on Jake Paul

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Review: “Venom”

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Review: “Grey’s Anatomy” going into it’s fifteenth season

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Review: “Atypical” Season 2

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Review: “The Nun”

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Review: “A Simple Favor”

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Zero tolerance: “Roseanne” cancelled preceding season 2

• Review: “First Man”

Entertainment

Cannes Film Festival 2018: more than just flims

Review: “First Man”