“Lost and Found” brings laughter to all who attend

Theatre students take their bow as the show ends.

Jenna Bradford

Jenna Bradford

Jenna Bradford

December 13, 2018

The Stephen Decatur Theatre Production class has been working hard and putting in long hours for this year’s annual Children’s Theatre. After well-known shows like “Fantastic Mr. Fox” and “Fractured” performed in years past, this year’s “Lost and Found” has a lot to live up to. Debuted December first through the eighth in the auditorium, “Lost and Found” ran 16 shows for children and once at night for parents and students. The show itself will be about 45-50 minutes. While teaching a lesson about the acceptance of others, this year’s play will target the younger generation.  Their end goal is to come together to bring a play to the stage of SDHS that teaches a lesson and makes everyone laugh.  

Brandon Cater is the director and heart of Decatur Theatre. He has taught here for four years. When asked if there was anything special about this class of talented students, he responded with, “I feel very connected to this class, especially the seniors because they were freshmen my first year so it’s almost like I got to experience high school with them.” He explained that this class of students had started writing this play last year and are invested in it and the way it comes out. Students researched and came up with a theme or moral to the story. Cater puts a lot of time into the actual casting of each role, saying “I started my casting as soon as we started writing, just in my head which took about 2-3 weeks so that I know I casted every part perfect.” Towards the end of the interview with Cater, he elaborated on the time, dedication, and talent his students have this year and feels everything is turning out great and on schedule. 

Sophomore Layla Chrysanthsis will be playing the part of Bingo, the mayor’s dog in this year’s play. Chrysanthis has been part of the program here for two years and explained how close she has become with her classmates. “We are like a family and everyone is so easy to work with, I think that’s why we work together so good and are so close nit,” she stated in the interview. She went on to say, “I’m feeling really solid about the play this year, it is coming together really well, and everyone is getting really excited”. When asked if she and her classmates have a tradition or prep routine before opening night. She explained that the whole cast goes into the boys dressing room and sings, “Master of the House.” She stated that it really calms the nerves and gets everyone ready. Chrysanthis told me the whole process of putting the play together with memorizing and blocking, meaning the actors determine where they stand on the stage. This whole process takes about two to three months, but it is all worth it in the end. 

With the whole process of putting “Lost and Found” together the cast has been working day and night to give everyone a lighthearted, lesson-learning show for all ages to enjoy. There was two different casts within the show and will be switching off every day. The show was a success and brought joy to many children.

Let’s Intro[duce] you to theatre

Jenna Bradford

Let’s Intro[duce] you to theatre

Introduction to Theatre students showcased their talents with a collection of student devised plays, “One Good Turn,” on June 7 and 8. The plays, comedic in nature, had such originality that provided the audience with immense laughter.

Theatre teacher Brandon Michael Cater directed the plays along with veteran theatre students juniors Marissa Wheaton and Sara Bianca. The plays were a form of devised theatre, in which the actors wore black and used their scripts. Wheaton and Bianca were able to use their extensive experience in the department to help mold the plays into comical pieces. There were a total of seven shows.

Overall, these shows were unique and left the crowd laughing until the very end. New plays are devised each year, and students continue to impress the audiences year after year.

A glimpse into the plays

The first play, “One Ocean” was about a whale, named Lexi, in SeaWorld that was rescued and made part of the ocean show. With the help of Norma and Janna, the show is a success and she transitions into her new home beautifully.

The next show called, “The Barry Flinger Show,” was about a couple who goes on T.V to talk about their relationship while sharing secrets. Although it is obvious that the couple is on T.V for fame and nothing more, the reveals made one laugh until they could not breathe. One highlight from this show in particular, was when the actors broke the fourth wall with the line “what are we? Actors?!”

The third show, called, “The Play,” was about an actor who just could not remember his lines, leaving his fellow actors and director frustrated. The audience viewed the play as funny and were left  with a faint sense of the movie “Inception.”

The next play was titled “The Milkman.” This show followed a customer trying to buy milk while the clerk seemed to have been hypnotised. Everytime he hears the word ‘milk’ his personality changes.  

“Cruzando La Frontera (Crossing the Border)” was about two twins, who were separated at birth. They contact each other and set out to cross the border to be together because no barrier can keep them apart.

“Lover’s Conquest” was a dating game show where the contestants are not exactly who they seem. The first participant was a liar and the audience found out he had a wife back at home. The second contender found love and ran off.

In the last play, “Taxi Ride,” the taxi driver gets a very peculiar customer who breaks all the rules and would not stop talking. Everyone was left laughing and the poor taxi driver had another unruly bunch at the end.

Sneak peak behind the scenes

Theater+set

Sneak peak behind the scenes

Theater set

Theater set

Jenna Bradford

Theater set

Jenna Bradford

Jenna Bradford

Theater set

“Noises Off!,” a production orchestrated by the theatre department, is coming full circle as the premiere of the show approaches. The cast and backstage crew have been tirelessly working on the two hours long, three-act, production in order to make it the best show possible. The theatre students are entering “hell week,” a nickname for the week of the show as pressures rise and

“We rehearse three nights a week, Tuesday through Thursday, it was a focus of understanding the show within the show and knowing when to enter through doors and having the set safe enough for the performers””

— Brandon Cater

nerves tense.

The students are expected to stay after school from 5:30 pm until 10:00 pm to rehearse and practice.

“We rehearse three nights a week, Tuesday through Thursday, it was a focus of understanding the show within the show and knowing when to enter through doors and having the set safe enough for the performers” explained Cater.  

Although this week is full of stress among theatre department director Brandon Michael Cater as well as the cast and crew, they all work in a rhythm that comes together in time for the debut of the show.

There are two casts, the “A” cast and the “B” cast. As these casts perform in rehearsal they are full of enthusiasm and life, no matter how late in the night it gets. The cast supports each other and always keep each other laughing to ease the tension. Even though there are moments where lines are forgotten, they are a hardworking group that maintains a comfortable environment for everyone.

“Everyone is encouraging everyone to do great things. We rehearse each other, give each other notes, and really just try,” expressed junior Josh Miller with excitement. Miller plays the character Frederick in the show.

Junior Jeffrey Helvig, another performer in the show, admits that the show will give a good laugh to the audience and will be fun to watch.

Freshman Raeghan Flynn is a backstage crew member that shared her opinion on the behind the scenes aspect of the show. “I helped build and make the set, we have been double checking everything and making sure it’s all set,” replied Flynn.

The set of the show seems awkward at first, and often hard to transition, but is nonetheless beautiful in the way it has been decorated and arranged.

“I’m blessed to have the hardest working group of kids imaginable, I know they can pull it off,” brags Cater.

“Noises Off!,” by the looks of it, is set to be a successful show with the entire theatre department being prepared.

If you are planning to attend a showing, the comedy and sardine filled show will premiere on Thursday, March 15 and will continue on through Saturday, March 17. So sit back and enjoy the show!

The Hawk • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in