• January 18Congrats to Jude Al-Hamad for winning the PBIS Rewards VIP of the Game on Jan. 16

• January 15Congrats to Mrs. Smith for becoming Decatur's 2019 Teacher of the Year

• January 15Congrats to Coach Krall for acceptance into the 2019 Eastern Shore Golf Hall of Fame

St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Senior Samantha Stephan with a few of the toys donated.

Ally Jones

Ally Jones

Ally Jones

Ally Jones
A.P U.S teacher Laurie Chetelat’s students pose with a few of the donated toys. The class donated toys to the good cause.

Have a holly, jolly Christmas, it is the best time of the year! It will be a jolly time thanks to the students and staff at Stephen Decatur High School, the children at St. Jude Children’s Hospital will be able to cheer.  

At St. Jude, young patients face multiple challenges on top of life-threatening illnesses, a struggle even more difficult to overcome during what should be the happiest season of all. Unable to enjoy opening gifts by their own Christmas trees, gathering around the fireplace, and sharing meals and memories with their families, it can be hard to find joy for the holidays.  

Senior Samantha Stephan was inspired to bring the kids some Christmas cheer through a toy drive, which she reached out to service group Connections to sponsor. Nov. 12 to Dec.7, a plethora of toys and games were gathered to be sent to St. Jude’s multiple locations. The toys collected range from barbie dolls to monster trucks. 

In bringing the idea to adviser Laurie Chetelat of Connections, Samantha was driven by the dire need of happiness in the hospital environment. “Even though St. Jude pays for the patients’ treatments and housing, many parents stopped working in order to be with their child. Cutting down their income, I knew many would struggle finding money to give their child gifts for Christmas,” she explains.  

When asked about her connection to St. Jude, Stephan told The Hawk, “two years ago, my then three-year-old cousin Stella was diagnosed with acute megakaryoblastic leukemia. She and my aunt had to move to St. Jude immediately, starting her on chemotherapy that lasted seven months.” Acute megakaryoblastic leukemia (AMKL) is a subtype of leukemia caused by an abnormality making aspirations difficult. 

The toy drive has led Stephan to gain more knowledge on leadership, integrity, and compassion. As a member of the National Honor Society, Connections volunteer group, and Decatur’s swim team, the high-achieving student recognizes the importance of giving back to her community.  

On behalf of the Connections group, The Hawk would like to give a special thank you to everyone that has contributed. St. Jude’s children will be delighted to know that they will have an extraordinary Christmas provided by caring members of communities around the nation.

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

Holiday recipes for all

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

Tis the season for giving

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

Tiny homes for the homeless

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

Creepy carnival chills Decatur

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

Apple launches iOS12

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

Lets give a warm welcome to our new staff

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

2018 NEHS Inductions

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

Safety in the palm of your hand

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

Denault driving towards diversity

• St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick

Feature

CRISPR saving coral reefs

St. Jude gets a visit from St. Nick