Community bids adieu to local, Albin “Hondo” Handy

Albin

Photo courtesy of Albin Handy

Albin "Hondo" Handy poses for photo.

Kaitlyn Mourlas, Staff Writer

Albin Handy, better known as “Hondo” to the locals in Ocean City, has recently announced that he will be retiring from the Ocean City Recreation & Parks Department. 

“This will be the start of my fortieth year,” he stated in an interview with The Hawk. Handy then explained how he has worked for the rec center since their offices were located at City Hall on Third Street, but are now on 125th Street at Northside Park. 

Handy expressed that, “after graduating from Salisbury State College, now Salisbury University, I got a taste of what working in the field of Recreation & Parks was all about and I liked it. When the opportunity came in Ocean City, I wanted to be a part of the department and it has been a wonderful career.”  

As a graduate of Stephen Decatur High School, Handy reminisced about playing basketball. He remarked, “It was an honor to play for the basketball team. Knowing that in order to play we had to buckle down on our school work only propelled us to excel in the classroom.” Handy explained that the best memory from the team was “winning the Maryland State Basketball Championship, 64-63, at College Park, and during that game, helping to hold the Frederick High School’s leading scorer scoreless to help secure the victory. Also, a career 63-5 won-loss record, wasn’t bad.”  

Receiving many accolades, such as the Citation Award from the Maryland Recreation & Parks Association, Handy also possesses an article published in the National Recreation & Parks Association Magazine. He was named a Board Member for the National Alliance for Youth Sports and was also named the Best Youth Organization Director by Coastal Style Magazine. Although Handy has been awarded many times, he expressed that “being named Ocean City Citizen of the Year twice, recently by The Ocean City Chamber of Commerce and once by the Ocean City Elks Lodge are my biggest accomplishments because of the award, my name is now on a plaque in City Hall on Third Street, forever.”  

In addition, Handy has overseen many camps within the rec center, and loved seeing all the different camps grow. Some of the things from his career that he will miss most is, “The unity that has been established with my co-workers, especially in the last year, the team first attitude, and the togetherness.”  

Although Handy will miss his job at the Ocean City Recreation & Parks Department, he feels excited to start a new chapter in his life. “I hope everyone has the opportunity to have a job that they love and enjoy going to every day, as I did,” Handy expressed. 

March 31 will be Handy’s official day of retirement. He stated, “The first thing I am going to do is a cancer fundraiser for the Cancer Center at Atlantic General Hospital on April 5 in Moorely Hall at Seacrets. My mother had cancer and many of my friends have too. I also plan to finish writing my two books and then take a trip to Florida, see my high school teammate, Coach Oliver Purnell, and play some golf.” Many will miss Handy’s joyous personality, but bid him farewell on his new journey.