Decatur wrestling continues dominating season at State Championship

Photo courtesy of Todd Martinek

Photo courtesy of Todd Martinek

Photo courtesy of Todd Martinek

Brittyn Leonard

Earlier this February, the Decatur wrestling team made history and won the school’s second state team championship. After a very strong start to their season, taking down bayside rivals including Parkside High School and James M. Bennett High School, they came together as a team and edged out a one-point win over Linganore High School in the State Championship. Sophomore Micah Bourne pinned his opponent in the 170 pound weight class securing the State Title for his team and school.  

Team captain Jagger Clapsadle is coming off a successful season, winning his hundredth match, adding wins every competition. He is confident in himself and his team as they move on to individual regionals and states. He commented, “I am one hundred percent confident I will win a state championship this year. I was very close last year, coming in second and I feel myself and my team will perform very well.”  

Clapsadle described his teammate sophomore Nico D’Amico as a very strong wrestler along with freshman Noah Reho. He stated, “We [work hard] every day and we are definitely leaders on the team.”  

D’Amico had a strong performance this season as well, and is confident in his chances at the individual State Championship. D’Amico was new to the Decatur team this year and contributed to a lot of the success the team has accomplished. He quickly became one of the top wrestlers throughout the season commenting, “My team and I all work very well together and all love to win.”  

Freshman Noah Reho also assisted his team in reaching and competing in the State Championship. Coming in as a freshman, Reho had a lot to prove and he did just that. Winning his first ten matches as a varsity wrestler before receiving his first loss, was a great accomplishment for not just him but also the rest of his team. At the State Championship match, Reho won against his opponent and assisted his team in the win. He commented on his team saying, “...we aren’t just a usual team, we are a family. We all hang out all the time and always have a good time.”  

Decatur wrestling also competed in the Bayside Championship, having six champions. Winning for the Seahawks was Shamar Baines (106), Jagger Clapsadle (113), Nico D’Amico (120), James Parana (160), Micah Bourne (170), and Dakota Souder (285). The Seahawks will next advance to the individual Regional Championship and then onto Individual States.