Got blood?

Got blood?

The setup where oncoming donors give blood.

Hunter Selzer

Hunter Selzer

Hunter Selzer

Hunter Selzer, Staff Writer

The Stephen Decatur Key Club Blood drive occurs twice every school year and has been very successful throughout the years. The first blood drive of the 2018-2019 school year acquired an amazing number of donors and the momentum continued throughout the second drive. 

The most recent drive was a success with 82 donors, which exceeds the previous one back in November. Included in that number were qualified students at the school donating to help their community. To give blood at the drive, one must be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 110 poundshave no piercings or tattoos withithe last year, and not be sick. 

Junior Matthew Pyles is a first-time donor, he stated, “I gave blood today to help anyone in need. Whenever I can help my community, I try my best to be present or participate.” After giving blood, Pyles felt “cold” and “woozy.” Although that may sound daunting, these are common side effects after giving blood and normally do not lead to anything more. 

Key club collaborates with the Delmarva Blood Bank to host the drive. Throughout the years, Key club and the blood bank have created a bond where some doctors remember previous donors.  

Before giving blood, future donors must eat one bag of pretzels and drink some water. This is to prevent people from getting sick while giving blood. Immediately aftedonating blood donors must sit for 15 minutes at a table eating food, so they do not pass out or have any adverse side effects. 

Following every blood drive, the Delmarva Blood Bank gives away one scholarship to a lucky senior that donated blood. The senior is selected through a random drawing.  

The blood drive is for a good cause and always has a positive effect on the community. The Delmarva Blood Bank and Key Club look forward to seeing more donors participate next time.