• April 23Band concert May 2

• April 17Presidential service forms due on 4/29

• April 17Prom on 4/27

• April 12Seniors continue to bring in baby pictures to Mr. Thompson

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Courtesy of cbs films.com

It is a classic; one teenager is sick and meets another sick teen, only to fall in love as they fight together for their life, but this one is different; the teenagers must not touch each other.  

The new teen romance, “Five Feet Apart,” premiered in theaters on March 15. The movie showcased the story of two teenagers suffering from cystic fibrosis and due to their disease, the two patients are told they must stay six feet apart. This constant distance from each other becomes too much for the friends as they start developing feelings for each other, causing them to eventually reduce this six-foot rule to five feet. 

Cystic fibrosis is a life-threatening disease in which the lungs become filled with mucus, potentially affecting the pancreas, liver, kidneys, and/or intestines, depending on the severity. This disease can be fatal if not taken seriously as it puts one at a high risk for infection (www.cff.org). The real dilemma with having this medical condition is the relationship one can have with another with the same condition. When two people have cystic fibrosis, they must keep distance between them. 

At the start of the movie, the two young patients, Stella (Haley Lu Richardson) and Will (Cole Sprouse), know nothing about each other, but have a sour first encounter. Eventually, they make a deal to do their treatments together, primarily on FaceTime. They continue to support each other as friends with the same medical disease until their feelings start to progress. After a few ups and downs in their relationship, they decide to stay five feet apart instead of six. This further progresses their relationship, all until Will’s eighteenth birthday. Towards the end of the movie, an unexpected emotional event occurs that turns their way of thinking around.  

The movie will leave one wanting to know more, but the story was meant to be left up to the imagination. The movie was produced to be as closely related to those suffering with cystic fibrosis as possible. It gave insight as to what people with this disease must go through on a daily basis. Depending on their lifestyle, cystic fibrosis can cause one to live a much shorter and complicated life than those without the disease. This movie was able to portray this image through two different point of views on life. 

According to Rotten Tomatoes, 52 percent of 75 approved critics on the website gave the movie a positive review, while 82 percent of 297 users rated the movie 3.5 stars or higher. The website claims that the movie was great due to Haley Lu Richardson’s performance, but the clichés are what brought down the reviews (rottentomatoes.com). Some argue it was a sweet gesture, but others believe bringing the minimum distance between them down by a foot was too over-dramatized and cringey. 

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Review: “Captain Marvel”

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Review: “The Biggest Little Farm”

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Review: “Velvet Buzzsaw”

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

“Thank u, next” music video pulls in 825,000 live viewers

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Review: “First Man”

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Shane Dawson’s docuseries on Jake Paul

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Review: “Venom”

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Review: “Grey’s Anatomy” going into it’s fifteenth season

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Review: “Atypical” Season 2

• Review: “Five Feet Apart”

Entertainment

Review: “The Nun”

Review: “Five Feet Apart”