Students recognized at annual S.T.A.R breakfast

Awards being given to the students by Mr. Marx.

Sophia Goodwin

Sophia Goodwin

Sophia Goodwin

Sophia Goodwin, Editor

On April 24, Stephen Decatur recognized 28 students at the annual Students Thriving on Achievement and Responsibility, or S.T.A.R. breakfast. This event honors students who have received a positive referral from a teacher or administrator during the school year. 

The event opened with Principal Thomas Sites giving a brief speech and introducing the members of the Berlin/Ocean City Optimist Club. Decatur’s own Navy Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps then took over the ceremony with the Presentation of the Colors. Senior Jayden Alton closed the introduction by giving the Invocation. 

Assistant Principal Leland Green introduced the guest speaker of the S.T.A.R. breakfast, Ms. Gwendolyn Lehman. She was a previous theater teacher who taught at Decatur for over 40 years. Lehman talked of her career at Decatur and what she accomplished during her 42 years of teaching. She mentioned how “Acknowledgement should be given to those who strive to be their best selves.” 

After Lehman concluded her speech, art teacher Mary Ann Fardelmann and business chairman Kurt Marx presented certificates and gift cards to the students who received a positive referral. Mrs. Fardelmann and Mr. Marx then presented the door prizes by reading off raffle ticket numbers that were given to the guests at the beginning of the event. The breakfast concluded with Mr. Green sharing closing acknowledgements.  

Congratulations to those who were invited to the breakfast and to all students who continue to strive for pride, achievement, respect, and responsibility.