The effects of sports injuries

Brittyn Leonard, Staff Writer

Every athlete deals with the fear of a season or even a career ending injury, but some know it all too well. Athletes everywhere use sports as a way of life or a way to cope with things, but what happens when the thing you love most is taken away from you?  

This is true for current senior, Sarah Haskell. She has been a part of the girls’ soccer team since her freshman year. Her injury occurred her junior year, on the second day of try outs when she was running through a one on one drill. A ball was rolled out and she collided with her opponent as they both went for the ball. Haskell emerged with the ball, went to shoot and fell, coming down on her knee wrong. This resulted in a torn ACL. Haskell then had to go through a seven-month recovery which forced her to miss her junior year of soccer. Although Haskell is an important part of the soccer team, she is also a very strong tennis player. She feels the effects of her injury every day, saying “…I am still not fully recovered. I would say I’m only about 85 percent.” Wearing a brace on her knee as she started her senior year of soccer was not enough to support her injury. She was forced to sit out another season and watch her team from the sidelines only two games into the new season. She wants to rest it and make sure she is in perfect form for her last season as a Seahawk, on the tennis court.  

All-American lacrosse player Sarah Engle knows ankle injuries better than anyone. Three years ago, after playing soccer and basketball as a freshman, March finally rolled around and it was time for Engle’s favorite season, lacrosse. After going through the try out process, Engle was one of three freshmen to make varsity and she started at the midfield position. Quickly being one of the top players at such a young age, she adapted to the fast pace game and worked well with the older kids. One night Engle was working on her jump shot and quick basketball moves in her backyard when she fell on her ankle. She immediately knew something was not right. After a trip to the hospital, Engle was on crutches with a broken ankle. Like Haskell, Sarah was forced to watch her team from the sidelines. Going through massive amounts of pain over a four-month recovery, Engle came back her sophomore year stronger than ever, being a threat on the soccer and lacrosse field, in addition to the basketball court. After an even better junior year, Sarah was voted team MVP and went on to be a US All-American. Engle stated, “…I would say I’m definitely fully recovered but my ankles are still weak. I wear supportive cleats and basketball shoes that go up around my ankles to make sure my ankles are protected very well. Also, when I play on bumpy grass, I am very careful.” Engle does not let her injury affect her game though, going 100 percent every time, she takes the field or court.  

Sophomore, Darby Moore was a freshman standout last season on the soccer and lacrosse teams. Putting up impressive statistics, she was a threat on all parts of the field. Few people know, Moore suffered a very painful injury about two years ago. During a lacrosse game, she planted her foot wrong and felt a sharp pain through her hip. Being such a tough competitor, Moore did not want to let her team down and continued to play. This rash decision caused her to suffer a broken hip. Throughout a three-month recovery, she was forced to go to long hours of physical therapy and could not put any weight on her hip. On crutches for three months, she missed two fall lacrosse tournaments. When asked if she was fully recovered, she responded with, “…no I have to go to a chiropractor to get acupuncture.” She explained she can still feel sharp pains in her hip and down into her quad when playing. Moore does not let this hip injury affect her game time though, stating “…my motto is if you play scared, you’re going to get hurt.”