National English Honors Society holds annual Haunted Hallway

It is tradition that after every Haunted Hallway all volunteers gather outside the library for a group photo.

Janice Clarke

Janice Clarke

Janice Clarke

Lydia Woodley, Ads Manager

Monsters roamed the halls of Poe Place during The National English Honors Society’s (NEHS) annual Haunted Hallway. This year the theme was Goosebumps, based on the book series written by R.L. Stine. The Haunted Hallway took place on Oct. 25, from 6-9 p.m., and tickets were $5 per person.    

Maddison Munn, president of NEHS, states, “the Haunted Hallway was made successful by the help of NEHS members and advisers, Mr. Krantz and his Fundamentals of Technology class and many dedicated student volunteers.” 

The Haunted Hallway ran completely on donations and volunteer work. Volunteers met every Thursday for two months and every day for the two weeks leading up to the event. Munn says there were over 63 volunteers helping put together the Haunted Hallway.  

Volunteers assisted with construction, acting, advertising, makeup, and sound. Each committee was led by an NEHS officer. Mrs. Fardelmann and the Art Club helped with advertising and painting set pieces. Mr. Krantz helped the construction team build set pieces in his woodshop. Annabelle Derby, one of the volunteers, commented, “It was very rewarding to see all of our hard work and effort pay off to create the Haunted Hallway.” 

Small groups were led by fortune tellers with crystal balls and ominous makeup through five different scenes.  

The first scene was a graveyard filled with tombstones and skulls. Someone inside the coffin banged the lid begging to get out. A zombie hid behind tombstones to scare unsuspecting participants. Also, in the first section, a mummy hid in a sarcophagus and reached out of it. 

The second section was a cornfield lined with orange lights and cornstalks. A nightmarish scarecrow hung still on a post until groups walked through, and the scarecrow jumped out to scared them. 

Groups turned a corner to find the haunted forest filled with creatures hiding in the branches and webs. The first thing groups stumble upon in the forest was a werewolf eating a victim with their intestines spilling out. Next, an axe wielding clown sliced at another victim as she gives a blood-curling scream.  

Thengroups walked through a black and red door into the Dead House based off a Goosebumps story line. The Dead House had ghostly portraits on the walls and a table filled with off–setting objects, like rats and skulls. Characters in all black clothing wore macabre masks and screamed for help while they jumped out at groups. 

Lastly, a room called the Doll Room had Barbie doll limbs hanging from the ceiling and different dolls were moving on the walls. Slappy, a main villain in Goosebumps, sat in a chair at the end giving a harrowing message as groups exited.  

Jazmine Garcia, a 16-year-old who went through the Haunted Hallway, said afterwards, “the sound effects made the whole experience seem more realistic.” 

Another student Sarah Rodler stated, “I went through multiple times and it kept getting scarier and scarier. [It was] totally awesome!” 

Along with the Haunted Hallway there was a raffle for a collector’s tin of the first five Goosebumps books. Anyone who bought a ticket to go through the Haunted Hallway received one free ticket for the raffle. To buy an extra ticket it was $1 each. There was also a Kid’s Corner for children who did not want to go through the Haunted Hallway. At the table were crayons and Halloween themed coloring pages. The Seahawk Writing Center held a Halloween themed bake sale with everything costing a dollar or less. The bake sale sold homemade cupcakes, cookies, brownies, Fisher’s Popcorn, and Halloween punch.  

In the end Munn is proud to say, “We were truly able to put together a truly frightening experience that hopefully drew attention to this annual NEHS project.” 

The Haunted Hallway raised over $1000 to go towards future NEHS projects. For more information about NEHS go to https://seahawklyceum.weebly.com/