Earth’s current crisis

Land%2C+air%2C+and+sea+are+all+threatened+by+the+changes+in+the+environment.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Earth’s current crisis

Land, air, and sea are all threatened by the changes in the environment.

Land, air, and sea are all threatened by the changes in the environment.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Land, air, and sea are all threatened by the changes in the environment.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Land, air, and sea are all threatened by the changes in the environment.

Hannah Johnstone, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






The current climate crisis is larger and more complex than humans have ever dealt with before, according to the National Centre for Climate Restoration in Melbourne. Every day, the climate crisis exacerbates, or becomes worse, due to the wildfires, deforestation, and irresponsible oil spills all over the planet. Unless action is taken now, climate change will cause the collapse of the worlds ice sheets resulting in the extinction of one million species.  

One of the most important issues that needs to be addressed are the wildfires breaking out around Calif. The World Meteorological Organization reports that, even though instances of wildfires in the United States have decreased over the few years, the size, intensity, and burn area of the fires has increased. Although the weather has been driving the severity of the fires, humans may be starting more fires than nature does. Jon Keeley, a research analysis, states that humans have started 95% of the fires throughout the states since 1910. The other 5% were caused by lightning strikes.   

There is hope for preventing these fires because there are laws present to attempt to restore and protect the forest. Jennifer Kinsler, a science teacher at Decatur, helps to justify how some of these laws can help. She explains, “There is a law that states to burn parts of the forest every so often to reduce the amount of dead debris. This is just one of the ways humans are trying to recount for their actions and make a change for the condition of the planet.  

Another issue that needs to be addressed is the deforestation around the world. Agricultural expansion, wood extraction, and urbanization are some of the reasons why deforestation is growing so rapidly.  Deforestation causes habitat loss for animals, which is leaving them stranded and is leading to the ultimate demise of these species. Most of deforestation takes place in tropical rainforests. A research scientist from National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) found that the Amazon rainforest takes in 2.2 billion tons of carbon each year.  

Without trees to absorb carbon dioxide, it is forced to flow into the oceans which leads to an increase in the water’s temperature. The increase in temperature results in the melting of ice caps and extinction of species. Richard Ferro, another science teacher at Decatur states, “when people from around the world come together to plant trees, it can add up and make a real difference.” It will take the help of citizens around the nation to solve the problem. 

Along with deforestation and forest fires, there are millions of gallons of oil quietly spilling into the ocean each year. The oil kills millions of ocean animals every year and disrupts the ecosystems the animals live in. Two months ago, a mysterious oil spill occurred in Brazil, covering 1,400 miles of Brazil’s coastline, and the government is doing little to nothing to help it. Volunteers from Brazil are rushing to help clean the coast and activist are demanding the president come up with a plan to clean up the mess. If action is not taken soon to clean up the oil, the consequences could be deadly for many species. 

Earth is decaying in many more ways than just these few examples. Numerous animals and ecosystems are under threat that are necessary to help our planet thrive. With the assistance of smart minds, helpful people, and dedication to the environment, these problems can be solved sooner rather than later.