2019 fall sport recap

Brittyn Leonard, Staff Writer

The Decatur fall sports season has wrapped up and as teams look forward to the winter season, they also reflect on their impressive run from these past months. From Regional Championship appearances to historic seasons, these teams fought hard every time they took the field or stepped on the court. Early morning preseason practices and long bus rides made the teams stronger and forced these athletes to manage their time between sports and school.  

Football  

Courtesy of Lifetouch
The football team going over a play in the huddle.

The varsity football team looked to rebuild and improve on their record from last season, with a younger team, which included standout upperclassmen. The team went 3-6, beating Snow Hill, Bennett, and Arcadia. The team ended their regular season with an impressive 63-0 win against Snow Hill on Nov. 1, but unfortunately missed the playoffs. 

Junior wide receiver, Koby Higgins was a key part of the team’s offensive unit this fall, scoring touchdowns and gaining yards every game. He stated, “…we were really close this year and got better throughout the season. I’m very excited for the future.” Higgins looks forward to his senior year and plans to make a huge impact on the offensive end. 

The team plans to better their record for next year and come back stronger. Graduating some key players, they look to younger kids and JV players to step up in the following years.  

Volleyball  

The volleyball team getting excited to get back out on the court.

The varsity volleyball squad had a standout season this year, spiking rough competition throughout the season. Beating rival Parkside early in the year, the team gained momentum and began with an impressive record. Falling to James. M. Bennett, the team missed the Bayside Championship but remained with a strong overall regular season record of 10-5.  

Junior setter and right hitter, Brooklynn Pugner commented on the team’s season, saying, “…this year was a very strong year. We worked well together and put in the work every day. We will miss our seniors next year and are thankful for their addition to our team. We are sad to see the season come to an end, but we are ready to better our individual game this offseason and come back next year to dominate.” Pugner wants to come back as an even stronger player next season and improve on all aspects of her game.  

The team received the third seed in playoffs and played the sixth seeded Chesapeake Cougars at home. Unfortunately, the team fell 2-3 ending their playoff run.  

Field Hockey 

Courtesy of Lifetouch
The varsity field hockey team about to play their “Pink Game”.

The varsity field hockey team had a historic year and went 3-8 on the regular season. Going from only scoring one goal two seasons ago to winning three games, this season demonstrates the team has improved and gained momentum. Top scorers for the team this season were, Senior Alexa Upperman and sophomore Kira Dipietro.  

Senior sweeper Caroline Gardener stated, “…this is the best season the Decatur field hockey team has seen in years.” The girls worked on communication and passing up the field, which helped them increase their offensive play.  

This hardworking group of girls played Easton High School in their first round of playoffs and fell 0-6 but put up a good fight. They plan to come back next year and have an even better year.  

Girls Soccer 

Courtesy of Lifetouch
The girls soccer team in the huddle before playing Bennett High School.

The girls’ varsity soccer team played hard this season as their new coach, Steve Issett, started to rebuild the program. The team faced difficult competition throughout the three-month season and switched things around to make themselves perform better. The team moved players to better their abilities and improve their game.  

Senior co-captain, Alyssa Romano, and the team’s sweeper commented on her last soccer season, stating, “…we grew a lot this season and bonded as a team.” Romano reflects on her season and is hopeful for the team’s success next year.  

The squad lost their first round of playoffs, falling to Chesapeake High School, 3-0. Their overall record was 4-9, and they see themselves improving on that in the following years. 

Boys Soccer  

Courtesy of Lifetouch
The boys soccer team standing together during The National Anthem.

The boys’ varsity soccer team had an impressive run this season, going 9-1 in the regular season, only falling to Parkside High School by one. This loss caused the team to miss the Bayside Championship game, but they had a good playoff run. The team was led by Junior Kellen Catrino, scoring 13 goals and 10 assists. In addition, Drew Haueisen contributed 14 goals on the season.  

Catrino, the team’s forward, added a quote saying, “…good season with the boys and looking forward to next year.” Catrino wants to better his game and come back stronger next season.  

The team played James. M. Bennett during the regional championship on Oct. 29. The team fought hard but, in the end, fell 2-0.  

Cheerleading  

Courtesy of Lifetouch
The cheerleaders throwing a flyer into the air during a football game.

The varsity cheer team had a remarkable season and added competing competitively to their resumé this year. The team cheered at every football game and competed on select weekends. Placing first in varsity advanced division and being crowned grand champs for the school division, they advanced to the next round of competition. This is an opportunity to compete in a National competition in April.  

Sophomore Georgia Oglesby is a standout cheerleader, after making varsity as a freshman, she has brought the spirit to every game since then. Oglesby stated, “…we had a great season of improvement and growth as a unit and as individuals. It was one of the best cheer teams that Decatur has had, and this season has made me even more excited for next year.” Oglesby plans to make an impact on the cheer team as she moves to her junior year.  

The team reflects on their season and hopes to come back even stronger next fall.  

Cross Country  

Courtesy of Lifetouch
The team walking back to the bus after a good race.

The boys ‘and girls’ cross-country teams ran hard in every meet this year and put in the work at practice. Placing well in key races, this allowed for the team to gain success as the season progressed.  

Senior Ellie Dutton has been with the team since her freshman year and has placed high in most meets. Since this was her last season with the team, she set out to make this her best one yet. She stated, “…we had a really good season this year and we improved a lot from the start of the season. Next year I think they will do really well!” 

The team competed in Baltimore for regionals. Junior Mary Mergott was the only runner from the team to qualify for State Championship race. Placing 16th overall, she will represent Decatur well as her teammates and school cheer her on.  

Golf  

Courtesy of Lifetouch
One of the team members golfing in Assateague.

Coach Dan Stearman and his golf team had one of the best seasons out of all the teams this fall. Going 11-0 with a perfect undefeated record, they dominated the Bayside Conference. After finishing second in both the Bayside and District matches, they had three players qualify for the State match. Players included: Brady Leonard, Abby Wesche, and Kaitlyn Davis.  

Coach Stearman led his team to victory this season and stated, “…we had a huge season this year, filled with success. Looking forward, I see us continuing to be successful and dominating the Bayside.” The golf team’s impressive record makes them a huge threat in the Bayside for next season.  

Finishing off the season, Leonard placed 12th in the State match.