Events to keep your spirits up this holiday season

Lights lit up the park as the train took you on a ride complete with music for each light show.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Brittyn Leonard, Staff Writer

Avoid the doldrums of the winter season and take part in the holiday festivities around Ocean City. The town provides lots of fun, inexpensive activities to do throughout the month of December. These Christmas festivities range from festive lights to music, parades, and so much more.  

Winterfest of Lights: The Winterfest of Lights is a train ride throughout Ocean City Recreation and Parks Center. Along with this train ride, experience all the fun and sparkling lights set up around the park. Holiday music, pictures with Santa, and hot chocolate can all be bought and enjoyed in addition to the ride. The ride takes place on 125th Street, starting Sunday, Dec. 1. For ages 12 and older the admission is $5 and 11 and younger is free. It is open 5:30-9:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 5:30-10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.  

Holiday Shoppers Fair: Taking place at the Roland E. Powell Convention Center, the Holiday Shoppers Fair has over 150 venders to help you pick the perfect present. They sell homemade gifts from photography to jewelry, and there is also door prizes and a food court. Admission for anyone above 13 is $3. It will be held Nov. 29 Dec. 1, 10 a.m. 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. 3 p.m. on Sunday. There will be free parking at the Convention Center during the days of the event.  

OC Christmas Parade: The 37th annual Ocean City Christmas parade marches down Coastal Highway starting at 11 a. m., Dec. 7. Marching northbound starting at Old Landing Road, the fun, festive floats will compete against one another for the top spot. With the judges stand at 120th Street, this parade includes colorful holiday floats, high school bands, horses, and so much more. Following the parade, inside the Carousel Hotel there will be half-price ice skating, a DJ playing holiday music, in addition to the trophy ceremony.  

Winterfest of Lights Jingle Bell 5K Run: Race through Ocean City’s Winter Fest of Lights show and experience everything it has to offer. After the run, take a ride on the Winterfest Express, along with cookies, hot chocolate, and a long sleeve race shirt all included. In its fifth year, the 5K cost for adults is $32 and ages 12 and under is $25. Packet information and the race after party are located at Abbey Bistro Burger on 120th Street. The race will take place 5-6 p.m. on Dec. 8.  

The Nutcracker: Presented by the Sussex Dance Academy and located at the Ocean City Performing Arts Center, this show will play Dec 15.  Doors open 1:30 p.m., as the show starts at 2 p.m. Tickets for the show cost: $20 for adults, $17 for seniors 65 and older and kids 12 and under are free.  

American Cancer Society Holiday Wrappings Luncheon and Fashion Show: With all benefits going to the American Cancer Society for their programs, research, and education, this event will take place at the Roland E. Powell convention center. Come together Dec. 10 to help a great cause by enjoying a warm lunch, lots of fashion, holiday music, and prizes. For more information about reservations, tables & packages, and sponsorship, please contact Dawne Pappas at 443-880-2310 or email [email protected]. 

Pizza Party with Santa:  Being held Dec. 3 from 5:30-7:30 p.m., children are invited to join Santa for a pizza party. By pre-registering, activities include arts and crafts, cookie decorating, visits with Santa, and a ride through the Winterfest of Lights. For Ocean City residents, tickets are $8, non-residents are $10, and adults wishing to ride the tram are $4.