“Hansel and Gretel” cast reflections

“Hansel and Gretel” cast reflections

The cast breaks character to say goodbye to all the children who came to watch the play.

Hannah Johnstone

Hannah Johnstone

Hannah Johnstone

Skylar Griffin, Guest Writer

Stephen Decatur’s Children Theatre program has finished their forty-third annual show, “Hansel and Gretel”, a fairytale from “The Brother’s Grimm.” The show, directed by Brandon Cater, was performed on Dec. 210 during the day, including two evening performances Dec. 67.  

As the performance comes to an end for the year, everyone reflects on the show and the process leading up to it. According to Cater, the cast faced many challenges during preparation. These challenges included the complex set and the schedules of the cast members.  

“[Students] playing sports and doing other shows… schedules kind of get jumbled,” Cater said. Despite the complications with timing conflicts, the cast rehearsed three times a week from 6-9 p.m. They also had a few Saturday rehearsals.

In Cater’s opinion, the most difficult parts of preparation included “accent work… working with dialects.” The students practiced diligently to perfect their dialogue. Students also concentrated on the set and costume design. Creating all of the elements on the stage can be challenging and  “Coming up with costume ideas for the forest was difficult,” Cater said.  

Cast member sophomore Rachel McAteer, played one of the trees. She discussed another challenge the cast faced before the show. “Our stage flooded one morning before a show, which was a hassle to clean up and make sure everything was set for the kids,” McAteer said. She said that her favorite part about performing was “getting to hug and high-five the kids after the show.” 

Despite the obstacles and complications faced by the cast, the show was a success, according to freshman audience member, Kai Ross, who attended the evening show on Dec. 7. “I was so happy to see the seniors bring their A-game to their last Children’s Theatre,” Ross said. His favorite scene of the show was when the witchplayed by senior Eliza Siegel, exposed her true intentions to the audience. Ross said that Siegel really stood out “because she was so sweet and trustworthy at first, but she was also able to be super creepy and sinister.” 

Cater describes his cast as “super hard-working and dedicated,” and according to McAteer, all the cast worked very well together. While the director and cast may have faced many obstacles, they worked hard and rehearsed often, resulting in another successful year of Children’s Theatre.