Coleman announced as new head coach of Decatur football

Stephen Wade

Coach Coleman is ready to work with his players and prepare for a great football season.

Stephen Wade, Staff Writer

This upcoming football season, Louis H. Taylor Stadium will roar with excitement as students, teachers, parents, and other fans cheer for the Stephen Decatur Seahawks football team as they run onto the field. Leading the team will be new head coach Jake Coleman setting his eyes on a Seahawk victory.  

Following the announcement of Robert Knox’s retirement this offseason, Coleman was announced as filling the vacant position. He served on Knox’s coaching staff last season as the offensive coordinator and he is also the grandson of well-known football coach, Leonard Coleman, who taught him to “build and work on relationships with the players.” 

Coleman started his coaching career at the young age of 23, but it was not exactly smooth sailing in his early years as he states, “I started coaching way too young. I jumped in, struggled, humbled myself, valued hard work, and built one of the most consistent teams around.” 

After 13 seasons at Cambridge South Dorchester High School, he won ten straight 1A Bayside Conference titles and two regional championships with a 92-51 record. He explains, “The key to staying consistent is to have some core values that are consistent, a coaching staff that is consistent, and players that put forth the same effort consistently.” 

While Coleman emphasizes consistency, he also considers himself a “grinder” which means that he puts in the work and does not make excuses. “You have to set your sites on where you want to be. You don’t talk about how good you are.” 

The new coach is setting his goals high for next season stating that he is Not focused on beating schools in the conference” but rather poses the question, “How are we going to compete with the big fish?” What he means by “big fish” is the best teams in the state, not the local teams in the conference. 

When asked about filling in the shoes of Coach Knox, he simply responded, “Coach Knox is Decatur football,” but Coleman will strive to make the team the best they can be.  

Varsity starting quarterback Ashten Snelsire, who will be a junior next year, is looking forward to playing for Coleman. “I’m very excited for the way he will change the culture and attitude around the program that will ultimately get more kids to come out and play.” 

Assistant principal, Curtis Bunting, feels confident in Coleman’s ability to establish relationships with the players and says he is “the right person to coach the team right now”. Bunting also said, “People don’t care about how much you know until they know how much you care.” stating that Coleman is a perfect example of someone that cares about what he does.

Coach Coleman is ready to make an impact on this program, stating, “I am very thankful for this job and I’m ready to work my butt off.” We will see if this hard work pays off this fall as the Seahawks prepare for another season.