Decatur wrestling keeps winning streak alive

Decatur wrestler Micah Bourne celebrating after winning his match with a pin.

Meghan Bean, Staff Writer

The Decatur wrestling team had their second consecutive undefeated season this year leading into states. After winning on Feb. 12, they were once again named regional champions, with just a few meets left in the season.  

The team has won every meet they have participated in this season, even winning the War on the Shore tournament, led by eight-year Head Coach Martinek. According to Coach Martinek, you can chalk their success up to the hard work and sacrifices of the wrestlers and coaching staff. This is demonstrated by the teams practice schedule, they practice two hours a day five to six times a week. Making it clear this level of success does not come without directed effort.  

Besides their incredible successes, another notable thing about this team is their comradery. Coaches and wrestlers alike agree that this sense of community has contributed to their successCoach Martinek says they are “very tight almost like brothers, they fight like brothers, but they always root for each other.” This sentiment is echoed by the captainsexplaining how they are “always on each other about hard work.”  

This season has had what Martinek referred to as “a good mix of youth and experience that has led to success.”  He mentioned freshman contributors Logan Intrieri and Jayden Kriner, as well as captains Johnny Hoffman, Nico D’Amico, and Jagger Clapsaddle.  

At the annual Bayside Championships on Feb. 2223, Decatur came in first, beating second place Kent Island by 109.5 points, and the lowest scoring team (Mardela) by 295 points. Showing how talented they really are, they qualified 13/14 weight classes in the 1A/2A East Regional Tournament taking place next weekend at North Caroline High School.  

The goals for the season were to repeat as state champions and push harder for more individuals to place in states. The final goal is to place seven wrestlers in the state tournament breaking the current school record. The team hopes to win a third consecutive state championship next year and continue improving. 

As of now, Stephen Decatur is the State Champion for the second year in a row. They go into individual states March 7-8.