Monday, March 9

Today Celebrates: National Barbie Day and National Meatball Day!

Lunch for today includes: Mickey’s Cheese or Pepperoni Pizza, Baked Popcorn Chicken, Baked Onion Rings, Brussel Sprouts, Chilled Peaches, Roll, and Milk.

Seniors! Lifetouch will be here TODAY to capture Cap and Gown Pictures. A full list of appointments is posted outside the media center and the DNN Studio. For pictures, head down the front hallway, Broadway, at your designated time. Teachers, please note that the front hallway is closed today to students and staff. Please see Mr. Thompson with any questions.

It’s also that time of year seniors when we collect baby pictures for the graduation video. Please email photos to [email protected] with your name in the subject line, or drop off hard copies to the DNN studio with your name on the back. These photos will be scanned and returned to you. If you have any questions, please see Mr. Thompson.

Congratulations to the Stephen Decatur Academic Team! They were crowned champions of the Eastern Shore Academic invitational on Friday. They went undefeated by winning four straight matches, beating wi-Hi, Perryville, Easton and James M. Bennett to claim the first place trophy. Congratulations!

Attention National Honor Society Inductees. The list is now posted along the CRT hallway. We will have a very brief but important informational meeting on Tuesday at 9:20 in the cafeteria and again in the afternoon for those students who missed the morning meeting. Students will be called. Please be prompt and ready to listen as there is a lot of information to obtain.

The winter session of the After School Academy ends on Thursday, March 12th. After that time, after school transportation will not be available until the spring session begins following spring break. Please plan accordingly.

Do you want a class pizza party? Then donate to the Kids Against Animal Abuse and Testing Club’s annual pet food drive! (Roll PSA 0:38) Donations can be brought to your fifth period class from March 9th through the 20th. The class with the most pet food will win a pizza party. See Mrs. K Patrick if you have questions

Students! Turn in your scheduling sheet to the guidance office ASAP! That means TODAY! We need all sheets turned in so that we can start the next step of scheduling. If you are holding on to it because you have questions, please bring it to guidance and ask your questions. We NEED ALL scheduling sheets to return to guidance. Also, any student wanting to drive to Wor-Wic for Dual Enrollment in the fall, first semester of next year, you must apply to Wor-Wic online and come by guidance to pick up a Dual Enrollment packet.

There are several community activities planned around the book, In the Heart of the Sea, written by Nathaniel Philbrick. There are free copies of the book in the Media Center.
There will be movie screenings of “In the Heart of the Sea, at the Berlin branch of Worcester County Library on Wednesday, March 11 and Wednesday, May 6. The author, Nathaniel Philbrick, will be speaking in our auditorium April 2 at 7:00 pm. The fiction book, Moby Dick, is based on this true account taken from diaries of the crew on the Whaleship Essex.

Attention 1st semester marching band folks. This includes colorguard as well as instrumentalists that were only in the Fall semester class. This is a reminder of the St. Patrick’s day parade practice happening this Thursday during Mr. Foell’s last period class. Since Friday is a half day, we will need to meet for rehearsal on Thursday, 5th period, in Mr. Foell’s classroom. If you are an afternoon Worcester Tech student, then you will stay in the bandroom both 4th and 5th periods. So again, this reminder goes out to all 1st semester marching band students, we have a St. Patrick’s parade practice this Thursday, March 12th, during 5th period in Mr. Foell’s room. See you then.

Calling all students, faculty, and staff. Please continue to bring in your spent markers to be repurposed through the ColorCycle Recycling Program. There is a collection box in the main office. We’ve already saved over 50 pounds of markers from going into our landfills! These markers are being repurposed by using advanced plastic conversion techniques to make wax compounds for asphalt and roofing shingles. Let’s keep recycling Decatur!!

Thank you to everyone who signed a pledge card and the banner, and for all those who participated in last weeks’, Say Something Week. We will be selecting winners later today and those winners will be notified. Thanks again and remember to say something, if you see or hear something.

Attention Academic Team members: This afternoon we will be having our final meeting of the year. Please attend so that we may have a debriefing about the tournament and discuss a plan for next year. Your input matters!

The Seahawk Wrestling team finished the season in record setting fashion. In the first ever Girls State championship – Jenna Danner took 4th place and Mia Stubblebine took 3rd place. The boys set 2 records – they had 7 state place winners which topped last years record of 6 and had 3 state champions which is also a record for one year. Shamar Baines took 5th place. Micah Bourne took 4th place. Johnny Hofman and Jagger Clapsadle took 2nd place. The 3 state champions were Nico D’Amico, Noah Reho, and James Parana. Congratulations on a great season. The team will be honored at the Maryland General Assembly Tuesday in Annapolis for their record setting year.

Remember to base your decisions on the Decatur Way principles. Pride, Achievement, Respect, and Responsibility. Have a Magnificent Monday Decatur!