Preview: “The Front Page”

Liam Hawley

"The Front Page" poster with the mugshot of Earl Williams, accused murderer of a public figure, played by Kai Camilleri.

Liam Hawley, Staff Writer

“The Front Page” is the next theatre production performed by Stephen Decatur High School’s drama studentsIt is directed by drama teacher Brandon Cater, and will be his forty-second time directing at Decatur. It is the twentieth anniversary of the school’first performance of “The Front Page” which was first performed back in 2000 when Cater was a cast member in his sophomore year. 

The play will feature two different casts, A and B, due to the large number of drama students and the limited number of roles. Cater says “I also had to make name changes and gender role switches due to the low number of female roles in the original script. The different casts will also feature some of the same people as the same role. The A-cast will feature Jayden Johnstone as Hildy Johnson and Kai Camilleri as Earl Williams. The B-cast will feature Hunter Wood as Hildy Johnson and Kai Camilleri as Earl Williams. Cast member Hunter Wood says “I am very exited to perform this play in front of an audience at Decatur.”

The drama-comedy play takes place in the 1920s in Chicago. The plot follows Hildy Johnson, an investigative reporter who is looking for, as Cater puts it, “the scoop of the century.” After Earl Williams, an accused murderer of a very important person, escapes custody, Hildy sees an opportunity for his time to shine. The play was originally written by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur and performed in the Times Square Theater in New York in 1928.  

The play will premiere on Thursday, March 26, with the A-Cast performing at 7 p.m. The next showing will be Friday, March 27, with the B-cast performing at 7 p.m. as well. The final performance will have both casts performing on Saturday March 28 with the A-cast at 1 p.m. and the B-cast at 7 p.m. Adult tickets will be $10 and student tickets will be $5.